Nitrites won't go down?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
My nitrites refuse to go down! It's been five weeks and they are still at about 3 ppm but I do water changes almost every day and have seeded media in my filter. HELP?!

Try testing your tap water. You may have some nitrate in it. Seeded media will convert ammonia to nitrate, it's a good thing. How often do you feed and how many fish in what size tank?

5 weeks is a long time for nitrite. What size tank and what fish? What filter do you have? Are you changing out the filter media at all (you shouldn't, but if you keep changing it that might explain the stall in the cycle). Also test your tap water and see if it has nitrite in it.

Try testing your tap water. You may have some nitrate in it. Seeded media will convert ammonia to nitrate, it's a good thing. How often do you feed and how many fish in what size tank?

So if I test it and it has nitrate, is that a bad thing? I feed my fish two times a day, but just a little bit. 37 gallon.

So if I test it and it has nitrate, is that a bad thing? I feed my fish two times a day, but just a little bit. 37 gallon.

I think you meant nitrite, but you should test for everything to see where you're starting from. It depends on how much nitrite, if any, is in there. That might explain why it isn't going down with water changes, but if nitrite is at 3 and your tap has little or zero nitrite then your water changes aren't large enough, but test your tap water first and let us know.

5 weeks is a long time for nitrite. What size tank and what fish? What filter do you have? Are you changing out the filter media at all (you shouldn't, but if you keep changing it that might explain the stall in the cycle). Also test your tap water and see if it has nitrite in it.

It's a 37 gallon and I have two guppies, two platies, and a molly. I have one aquaclear 70 and one topfin 40. And no, I don't change the media. I'll go test the tap now.

just tested it..tap water is 0 and my tank is at 4?!?!?!??!?! my fish are fine though...it's an api master test kit though so it's right.

could it be that it's so high because today, i accidentally spilled A TON of food into the tank..wooooppppss. does that make a difference?

marge02144 said:
could it be that it's so high because today, i accidentally spilled A TON of food into the tank..wooooppppss. does that make a difference?

Most assuredly. You need to get that nitrite level down ASAP. From 4ppm, two back-to-back 75% PWCs should bring it down to 0.25ppm. And lightly gravel vac also to get some of the waste and food out of there.

Is it an API test? I HATE those. You really really gotta shake that number 2 bottle like crazy for a minute. I hate hate hate it. I've tested my nitrAtes and they were trough the roof!! I was in panic mode brought my water to a trusted friend who owns he's own fish store and his test showed my nitrAtes were fine. The test was bad.

Now I use salifert to test my nitrAtes.

Overfeeding can easily be the cause. I let my 2 year old niece feed my tank and ugh!.. lol It happens.

Generally I never do large water changes while cycling a tank with seeded media unless I find crazy high ammonia or nitrite levels (like you're seeing). Doing that always seems to greatly extend the amount of time the system takes to cycle. Having said that, the above poster is right. You need back to back large water changes to deal with the feeding incident.

A good thing to do next would be to draw some water into a ziplock, test it, then then run the same water over to a fish shop and ask them to test it there. If their results are different you probably need a new test kit, if they're the same you're okay.

ugh okay! i thought it was a different type of food where you really had to shake it hard a couple times for any to come out..but it was my food that came out the most when you did that ! ugh so frustrating.

CorallineAlgae said:
Generally I never do large water changes while cycling a tank with seeded media unless I find crazy high ammonia or nitrite levels (like you're seeing). Doing that always seems to greatly extend the amount of time the system takes to cycle. Having said that, the above poster is right. You need back to back large water changes to deal with the feeding incident.

If either level is above .5 there should be a water change immediately, if not sooner! High ammonia and nitrite levels are harmful to your fish. Like convict said, shake those bottles! Bang then against the table or something. Some of them crystallize (nitrate is the worst) and the crystals need to be broken in order for the test to work!

If either level is above .5 there should be a water change immediately, if not sooner! High ammonia and nitrite levels are harmful to your fish. Like convict said, shake those bottles! Bang then against the table or something. Some of them crystallize (nitrate is the worst) and the crystals need to be broken in order for the test to work!

so i should do like two 50% water changes tomorrow..in a row?

High Nitrites

My nitrites refuse to go down! It's been five weeks and they are still at about 3 ppm but I do water changes almost every day and have seeded media in my filter. HELP?!

Hello marge...

A guaranteed way to remove nitrites is to emerse "Aglaonema" plants in the tank water. I've used them and the nitrites were gone in a week or two, along with any traces of ammonia and most nitrates. The more plants you use, the faster the pollutants are removed. The plants only require low, ambient light.

Just a thought.

B

so i should do like two 50% water changes tomorrow..in a row?

As written in a previous answer, I would too.

I don't know what kind of water conditioner you're using, but were it me, I'd be using Prime. Prime will detoxify any remaining nitrites not removed by the water changes. As Prime wears off in a couple of days, it is not a substitute for the water changes, but again, works well in limiting the toxicity of any nitrites that are left behind.

Good luck!

how much longer do you guys think it will be until my tank is cycled?!

Back
Top Bottom