Number of Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Tuttle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a live bearer community tank set up in a 21 US gallon tank: I have a trio of guppies and a trio of platties (both trios are 1M & 2F). I also have several guppy fry hiding in my plants.

I have a high PH--somewhere around 7.8, with the possibility of 8.0.

I am sorely tempted by a neon tetra sale at my LFS, and I want to give them a shot as my last non-algae eater fish. I would think 6 is a good number, but I'm tempted to get 10. Is this foolhardy, given my PH and existing fish population?

Does this risk instantly overstocking my tank? The bioload of neons is slight, but it does double my population of adults.

All help is appreciated as always, and given that the sale is now, I would greatly appreciate help as soon as is possible.

I think 6 would be a good number, thats what I have in my tank and they school very nicely. I wouldn't count on them controlling your guppy/platy population however. I hardly see mine eating any guppy fry. In fact, I have only seen the biggest one nip at one of the fry and then left it alone. My diamond tetras on the other hand make quick work of any fry.

I agree with Lager, I had purchased 8 total and within 24hrs the two smallest/pale looking ones had died. If you can find some of the larger neons they seem to be a little more hardy. All of mine are right around the 1-1.5" mark and have brilliant colors. Good luck!

I got 10.

So my tank is nearly fully stocked: 10 neons, three guppies, three platties, and some guppy fry.

I am likely to get two otos to deal with the ever increasing algae problem, and that will be my upper limit.

I think I can tolerate or handle 3-4 more adult guppies out of the fry, but I'll soon have to give/sell the rest.

ottos are cool little dudes.

Many say they like groups. Mine however is a loner. The mates I've gotten him/her have always disappeared. Lots of plants and places to snuggle in this tank, so if it was a terratory thing, mine is just greedy. :) hehe.. I've had him at least 2 years probably longer.

Enjoy the new members of your community! Let us know how it works out.

ps, what color are your guppies? I may be interested in some of the fry....

How would we ever manage the hand off?

My male is a yellow/blue--I think I've seen jaguar in the name for this variant online. My two girls are greyish brown with blue-streaked tails. The fry are five days old--they're just gaining some real size now. I had had 7, but I can only see 5 at a time now.

The female must have been pregnant when I bought her. The 28-day gestation period exceeds the time they guppies have been in the tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom