Open bottom or Upside down tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I'm in love with the concept of upside down tanks and I had one made, which is going to be ready today.

I'm fairly new to aquariums so I was wondering how this can affect and if it will affect my ecosystem. Any advice on special maintence? My tank is a 10 g and I expecting to make it 12g with this extra segment.

Lighting is another issue my tank is low/medium intensity, but how should I light the top area of the extra segment? Would a light through the top glass be adquete? I'm planning on making the new hood myself so custumizing it wont be a problem.

Any input will be welcomed.

The My Tank is not working so i'll tell you my tank has been stablished for a year and a half. Introduced live plants about 2 months ago and they are doing very well.

They dont for me. Look up open bottom tanks on youtube. Look at the first 5 or so.

andresdeo said:
No, not at all. That is not what I was talking about.

The link I posted is the same as the others, just better presentation than say the lady wandering around her backyard in the dark lol.

I get physics of it (which he clearing explains) but seems like a lot of work. What happens if your power goes out and the vacuum is lost? Is there a sump to collect the extra water?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Here are some photos from Google. Not my tank not taking credit. Congrats to tank owners.

Attachments

• image-4104733307.jpg
    image-4104733307.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 468
  • image-2624201256.jpg
    image-2624201256.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 358
  • image-1200749754.jpg
    image-1200749754.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 413
  • image-2438526711.jpg
    image-2438526711.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 413
  • image-2742967431.jpg
    image-2742967431.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 397
Mr. Limpet said:
The link I posted is the same as the others, just better presentation than say the lady wandering around her backyard in the dark lol.

I get physics of it (which he clearing explains) but seems like a lot of work. What happens if your power goes out and the vacuum is lost? Is there a sump to collect the extra water?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

The pump doesnt have to be on all the time. Once the vacum is set it will only come down if you let air in or blow it in.

So its been a while, but here are the photos of my new proyect. For the those who didnt understand the concept. Hope you like it my fish loves it.

Attachments

• image-1231117751.jpg
    image-1231117751.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,065
  • image-3780746737.jpg
    image-3780746737.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,617
  • image-2461591722.jpg
    image-2461591722.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,632
andresdeo said:
So its been a while, but here are the photos of my new proyect. For the those who didnt understand the concept. Hope you like it my fish loves it.

That is super cool. Thanks for the great pictures

Oh my gosh I get it now!!! That's awesome!!! Lol... It's only 6:30 am my time... I'm a bit slow lol.

The air in the vertical tank was pumped out and displaced by water. So the water is pushing down on the horizontal tank.

Great job, that looks really cool!

Certainly more stylish than the ones I saw when I googled UD tanks. The 2nd pic of your goldie up in the "air" like that is great :D. Do you have some kind of catch basin in case you lose vacuum?

There is no active pump required to mantain the vaccum. Once its stablished it stays that way. So its a no on that, but short of an earthquake I hope I dont need it. Lol. Theres more than 2 gal of water so it would be a disaster. What Im working on now is installing a water or air/water pump to make the water in the vertical segment circulate back into the horiOntal one.

Back
Top Bottom