Ottos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Ok :) it sounded like you just floated them released! Lol
You might want to look up drip acclimation. IMO a much better way to do it especially with sensitive fish like ottos. Also NEVER add the bag water to your tank. You don't know what nasties are in there.

I will look up drip.
I forgot to add I netted and transferred to tank. :)

ocminpin said:
Okay... I read on an Oto site to put a rock in water in the window sill to grow algae on it for them... What do you think?

I have heard of this. Never tried it. Don't have ottos. :) It sounds like a great way to make sure they are getting all the food they need.

I have never grown algae for my fish either, but i have heard it works really well for otos.
I am going to answer something you asked before. Otos do breed in aquariums, but its not super common so its hard to find good info about it. Thats why most otos available in the aquarium trade are still wild caught. :) So, its possible, but I wouldn't think the likelihood of it happening in a community is very high. Hope that helps a little.

absolutangel04 said:
I have never grown algae for my fish either, but i have heard it works really well for otos.
I am going to answer something you asked before. Otos do breed in aquariums, but its not super common so its hard to find good info about it. Thats why most otos available in the aquarium trade are still wild caught. :) So, its possible, but I wouldn't think the likelihood of it happening in a community is very high. Hope that helps a little.

Aww... Wild caught... :-( how incredibly sad to be taken from nature and put into a box. It's Nemo all over again..

absolutangel04 said:
I hope you didn't see them trying to push their bags out the window...

Well it makes sense as to why they tried to take over the car and drive back to the beach!! Hahaha...

Is this the rounded belly you guys were talking about? I swear he didn't have this earlier!! Is he just full? I haven't seen him eating... Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

View attachment 71639

Yep, that's the full belly deli. :D

See, this is why people overfeed their tanks, because they didn't "see" the fish eating. ;)

Your ottos are lovely!! I think I need to supplement mine a they don't have that nice round belly!!! Will be reading up on cucumber now.
I live my ottos they swim about for the first few days then took up home on my filter!

This is not at all unusual. Don't think it's anything you did or didn't do. Sorry about the loss.

The one who died had a full belly too :-(

That's the weirdness of it all. They look completely healthy but they just have not acclimated well. Nobody really seems to know why. Kind of like my rummynose tetras. If I purchase a dozen, I have to be prepared to lose 3-4 of them.

LyndaB said:
That's the weirdness of it all. They look completely healthy but they just have not acclimated well. Nobody really seems to know why. Kind of like my rummynose tetras. If I purchase a dozen, I have to be prepared to lose 3-4 of them.

Yea he looked really healthy didn't he? I wouldn't think something with a stuffed belly would be floating in the morning.
Perhaps because I turn off my air stone at night?

I wouldn't think that's the reason, but why do you turn it off? I don't know, I guess it would change the amount of aeration in the tank on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom