Partial water changes: when and how much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I was just wondering if you do your partial water changes weekly or bi-weekly? Also, how much should I take out? I have a 10 gallon and I take out one gallon (10 percent). One more thing, I am in the middle of a mini cycle due to a new filter, how often should I do it until the mini cycle is over? Thanks!

The generally recommended amount is 50% each week. During your mini cycle just keep an eye on your water parameters and do a 50% change when your ammonia or nitrite get to .25 ppm.

Thanks for the quick reply :) I will defiantly do more than 10 percent a week. Do you know how long this mini cycle will last?

I'm not sure. It depends on what caused it. Do you know what caused it?

I'm not sure. It depends on what caused it. Do you know what caused it?

I got a new filter and added two more fish. I did seed the new filter pad. The tank does seem a little bit more clear after the water change :) with a seed, do you know how long it will take for a stable colony of beneficial bacteria to grow?
Thanks!!

It shouldn't be long. Depending on the severity of the mini cycle, it could be weeks, or it could be days, but I doubt it'd take over a week. I don't have any experience with mini cycles, so that is just based on intuition and reason.

The most important thing you can do to know when to do your 50% WC is to test for nitrates. You should do the WC when your nitrates reach 20-30ppm(depends on the type of fish you have). Note that the more stocked in fish you are, the faster the nitrates build up. You could have to do WC even more often than once per week if you are heavily stocked. OS.

The most important thing you can do to know when to do your 50% WC is to test for nitrates. You should do the WC when your nitrates reach 20-30ppm(depends on the type of fish you have). Note that the more stocked in fish you are, the faster the nitrates build up. You could have to do WC even more often than once per week if you are heavily stocked. OS.

Thanks for the advice! Also, I have some good news! I got a 50 gal tank yesterday! I decided to get a bigger tank when I realized that my tinfoil barb was not good for a 10 gal :)

Hey! Works for me! Congrats on the new tank. I'm always looking for an excuse for another tank. Just haven't convinced the wife yet. LOL

Hey! Works for me! Congrats on the new tank. I'm always looking for an excuse for another tank. Just haven't convinced the wife yet. LOL

It was a steal! I got it for 40 bucks! I couldn't pass it up :) now I can use my 10 gal as a hospital tank :)

One question, how long do you think it will be until I can add fish? I used API quik start and some seeded decorations.

Are you feeding the bacteria with bottled ammonia or did you move fish with the seeded material? I wouldn't add fish until the biofilter demonstrated that it was keeping up with the ones you already have and then add gradually. I moved just about the entire biofilter so I didn't wait more than a few days and then one week minimum between additions. But, if you've only seeded with a couple decorations, treat it like a cycling tank.

Are you feeding the bacteria with bottled ammonia or did you move fish with the seeded material? I wouldn't add fish until the biofilter demonstrated that it was keeping up with the ones you already have and then add gradually. I moved just about the entire biofilter so I didn't wait more than a few days and then one week minimum between additions. But, if you've only seeded with a couple decorations, treat it like a cycling tank.

I didn't add my fish yet but I put in some fish food for ammonia and some API quick start. But I am going to add the filter from my established tank when I add the fish. Will fish food be enough to start the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom