pH Altering Chemicals - Do I need them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dana180

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The more I research the more confused I get! Yesterday I picked up some plants and a syphon. I'm going to do a partial water change today and rearrange my tank for the new plants. I forgot to pick up a ph regulator liquid stuff. Is this absolutely necessary? It seems that lowering ammonia is most important. I keep reading that the less chemicals, salt etc... That is introduced the better.

No I wouldn't mess with PH. What's your tank's PH now and is it stable? Fish can adapt to most PH's unless you're keeping fish like Discus or unless it's ridiculously high (over 9); they like stability over fluctuations so I'd leave it be.

The more I research the more confused I get! Yesterday I picked up some plants and a syphon. I'm going to do a partial water change today and rearrange my tank for the new plants. I forgot to pick up a ph regulator liquid stuff. Is this absolutely necessary? It seems that lowering ammonia is most important. I keep reading that the less chemicals, salt etc... That is introduced the better.

Hi there,

You do not need a pH regulator. IMO I would not even touch that pH up, down, neutral stuff, it is a scam. It contains a lot more harmful chemicals than good that will kill your fish possibly and if you overdose will cause a massive pH swing where the fish will die. Unless you have super sensitive fish like wild-caught sensitive fish (ex. GBRs, discus, cardinal tetras, chocolate gouramis) don't change the pH. I would only change it if it were below 6 or above 8.5.

If you find it ABSOLUTELY necessary, you can use RO water, driftwood or peat moss to lower the pH or add crushed coral to raise it. Not a lot though.

No I wouldn't mess with PH. What's your tank's PH now and is it stable? Fish can adapt to most PH's unless you're keeping fish like Discus or unless it's ridiculously high (over 9); they like stability over fluctuations so I'd leave it be.

+1

And even some captive bred discus will adapt to your pH.

Thank you very much! I needed the confirmation. I'm learning that quickly that most of the chemicals sold is either not necessary and potentially harmful.

I'm doing my very first partial water change today. Any tips? I could not find the "python" but got something similar

Thank you very much! I needed the confirmation. I'm learning that quickly that most of the chemicals sold is either not necessary and potentially harmful.

I'm doing my very first partial water change today. Any tips? I could not find the "python" but got something similar

Is it an automatic changer like the Aqueon that attaches to your faucet? If so you want to drain the amount of water you want from the tank first (I think your tank is still cycling with fish, correct? If so I'd do at least a 50% water change unless your ammonia and/or nitrite levels are over .5; if they are you'd want to do either a larger water change now or a 50% now and another 50% in an hour or so), then add dechlorinator straight to the tank; add the amount for the whole volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing (dosing should be on the bottle). Then feel the tank's water with your hand and try to match roughly the same temp from the tap water, then refill. You should also turn off filters when doing this but don't forget to turn them back on after.

Back
Top Bottom