Phosphates way too high... what can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trumpee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 4 week old tank still going through the nitrogen cycle. In the last week and a half I have developed algae that I've best been able to identify as hair/beard algae. Green string like algae growing on my silk plants and on the glass. After reading up on what can cause this and how to control it, one thing I looked at is my Phosphate levels. I tested my water out of the tap (well water by the way) and out of the tank. There is phosphate present in the well water (around 4-5 PPM it looks like). But my tank water Phosphate levels are off the charts.

I decided on a fishy cycle process (please no bashing) and I feed the fish a small amount of flake food every other day. I keep up with water changes. I've have also cut the daily light back by several hours.

I added API's Phos-Zorb to my canister filter on Thursday 2/14. Re-tested the water on 2/15 and the Phosphate reading is still through the roof.

How long should it be before I start to see a reduction and eventual elimination (if possible) of the Phosphate levels in my tank?

In addition to less frequent fish feedings, fewer hours of daily light, and the Phos-Zorb in the filter, any other recommendations to get the phosphates down? And how about any other measures to rid (or significantly reduce) this type of algae from my tank?

Tank profile:
Freshwater
46 gallon
Ph 7.8
Temp 78 degrees

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
I'm guessing that this is an unplanted aquarium? The treatment methods are slightly different depending on whether or not the aquarium is planted.

How large are you water changes and how frequent? Also check the analysis on your food, you may want to switch to one that has lower phosphate levels.

If you don't have a planted tank I would recommend a larger water change, at least 50% to get the levels down, manually remove as much algae as possible, and then a black out for 3-4 days. Make sure that the light is turned off and cover the aquarium so that absolutely no light can get in. Don't even peek and don't feed the fish until the black out is over. This should kill off the remaining algae. Uncover the aquarium and do another large water change removing the algae which should now be dead.

If this is a planted aquarium, I'd suggest moving your question over to the planted forum so that we can help you get your aquarium back in balance to eliminate the algae. Higher Phosphate levels are also less of a concern in planted aquariums, as it's nutrient deficiencies and not excesses that cause algae.

Thanks Joy. No this is not a planted tank. Everything is artificial. Interesting, the plastic plants have no algae on them. Only the silk plants.

I have removed the carbon for now from my canister filter and am using API's Phos-Zorb to try and get the phosphates under control. I have left the tank light off for 2 days and am starting to see a reduction of algae on the plants, but increasing somewhat on the glass. Your suggestion of a blackout for 3 -4 days sounds like it will help. But, what about identifying and treating the source? If that isn't tackled, won't all the algae make a return? I'm new, so I question a lot of things.

Thanks for your advice.

-Dave

That's why I asked about the size and frequency of your water changes. Also does your aquarium receive any direct sunlight? How long are your aquarium lights normally left on?

Back
Top Bottom