Planning a troical community 10gal as a Nitrate farm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cerise

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm repurposing a fishless planted aquarium for aquaponic use. Nitrates are like manna with this sort of setup so I want to humanely overstock my moderately planted/wooded 10 gallon micro.

LOOKING FOR: Suggestions on a community with a substantial collective bioload that can be comfortably housed in 10 gallons with ample hiding.

Current setup (can tweak to suit species):
-HEATED: 78F | Local PH of 7.2 and on the hard side | Moderate lighting | Sand substrate | 20gal tetra whisper housing cultivated Biofoam (can add pre-cultivated cornerfilters if ammonia becomes substantial.)
Two "islands" on either side, consisting of java moss spiderwood trees, vallisneria spiralis, Anubias barteri var/anubias petite. Both islands make about 65% of the tank hideable with the rest being open water.

PS: I've looked into puffers and consider them a last resort if a high-waste micro community isn't feasible, to which I won't be shocked.

Thank you for reading-

EDIT: Ugh that title typo, consarnit. Anyway, I just wanted to add that I safety tested my biofilter's capacity by adding an overfed 6-inch sailfin pleco. He could not produce substantial ammonia or nitrite within a week. I'd have kept him in there but he's hard on my plants and prefers more floor space.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Have you thought about just adding ferts? I have a high tech tank and nightly add a variety of ferts for the plants to keep a certain amount of nutrients in the water for the plants. Guessing this may have been considered but just a thought.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Have you thought about just adding ferts? I have a high tech tank and nightly add a variety of ferts for the plants to keep a certain amount of nutrients in the water for the plants. Guessing this may have been considered but just a thought.

Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I'm looking into it but at that point it's a matter of fert cost vs puffer food cost.

Guppies... Males and females with a ratio of 1M:2F... Let them reproduce and reproduce and on they go with waste. I have a Guppy only tank that I ended up separating to stop them from overpopulating the tank to the point of no return. Anyways, I have the tank full of plants and have found no trouble with Ammonia or Nitrates. I am sure that could work in your case. Get creative with Guppy colors and watch them develop to adulthood with their parents' colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the warm welcome. And yes, I'm looking into it but at that point it's a matter of fert cost vs puffer food cost.

Look at dry ferts is my thought. Ime so much cheaper that I'd never go back to liquid pre-packaged ferts. The postage cost me the most (even in Australia) and I have a years supply that I just mix up myself or dry dose into the tank.

Especially for potassium which I shovel in by the teaspoon as we don't get much of that from the fish or fish food.

Below is an Australian link but to give you an idea. It will be cheaper in US.

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom