Planted 125G Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glosso is fun to grow with good lighting and CO2. Just clip it into plantlets and use tweezers to push their roots into the substrate. It might look like crap at first but it will quickly grow into thick runners. Patience is the key. Soon you will have more than you know what to do with :)

Thats incredible, I want to get some carpet plants for my next few tanks but dont really know where I could get them at :-/

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on the question Sati. I just use plain black background paper like you can buy at your LFS. It's nicely neutral and really makes bright green plants stand out.

xIHaKIx - check out AquaBid.com for carpet plants. You can usually find all sorts of them available there.

Travis, you owe everyone an updated full tank pic. Having just seen this tank in person, I know the forground plants have changed and there are more red/purple plants. Here are a few macro shots for the thread.

Attachments

• dscf0023.jpg
    dscf0023.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 86
  • dscf0070.jpg
    dscf0070.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 95
  • dscf0071_557.jpg
    dscf0071_557.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 111
Some more...

Attachments

• dscf0084.jpg
    dscf0084.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 87
  • dscf0085.jpg
    dscf0085.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 70
  • dscf0115.jpg
    dscf0115.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 74
More...

Attachments

• dscf0130.jpg
    dscf0130.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 67
  • dscf0144.jpg
    dscf0144.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 63
  • looking_down_small.jpg
    looking_down_small.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 65
Travis - I discovered your tank on malawicichildhomepage.com and it inspired me to rip out my wall and mount a 75gal freshwater... keep an eye out, I'm sure I'll be coming to you for advice soon!

-dave-

(y)

Holy cow Dave, I've never inspired anyone to rip out a wall before :p I'll bet that's going to be a beauty of a tank. I hope you liked it better than the guys on malawicichlidhomepage.com did. They seemed to think I had too many plants in it :wink: Keep us posted on the project, it sounds very interesting.

Wow!............WOW!

I am new here.........I was just browsing throw the members pics and yours.........they just stopped me in my tracks..........AWESOME AWESOME tank travis!!!
There may well be better out there but I've yet to see it.
I currently have a partly planted tank but I will be soon moving up to a new(92 gallon corner tank) fully planted tank.
I've noticed that these pictures are from Tue Dec 21, 2004.
I can't help but wonder how far you've come since then.

Wow!............WOW!

I am new here.........I was just browsing throw the members pics and yours.........they just stopped me in my tracks..........AWESOME AWESOME tank travis!!!
There may well be better out there but I've yet to see it.
I currently have a partly planted tank but I will be soon moving up to a new(92 gallon corner tank) fully planted tank.
I've noticed that these pictures are from Tue Dec 21, 2004.
I can't help but wonder how far you've come since then.

That is just the most beautiful tank I have ever seen. How much maintenance of the plants themselves do you do, to keep the perfect layout and flow of the greenery? Does the tank still look this perfect two months after you posted your picture?

It is really just stunning. You should be in competition. Lucky fishes.

travis simonson said:
Holy cow Dave, I've never inspired anyone to rip out a wall before :p I'll bet that's going to be a beauty of a tank. I hope you liked it better than the guys on malawicichlidhomepage.com did. They seemed to think I had too many plants in it :wink: Keep us posted on the project, it sounds very interesting.

Strange review you got there...... first it says:
I do NOT like this tank!
and then all the way down :
Thus, although I like it a lot
(also reffering to the tank!)

Although maybe not natural biotope, I'm sure your fish aren't complaining :)
Still love your tank! (y)[/quote]

Great looking pics, Travis. I see it's as good as ever--if not better. Glad to see some new ones. Hows the constant flow of cichlibabies treating you? :D Look for my project thread in the showcase.

Dude a huge thunderstorm just hit us. Was raining Cs&Ds for like 20 mins straight. Lots of thunder/lightning too. You would have enjoyed it. The other day we had a storm and the top had to have been at 50,000 feet. It cleared up afterward and you could see the cloud moving away for the entire rest of the afternoon. This current storm is probably the same way. Monster storms! More coming next Weds and Thurs. I wish I could get a good pic for ya.

Im just learning technical names for plants so forgive me, lol, but what is the plant covering the majority of the floor of the tank? I am trying to acheive something similar, and that looks excellent. great job by the way, im jealous

Beutiful!!! Mbuna is one of my inspirations to start next. Never had them, but they are great looking fish. Congrats, A+ tank!

Back
Top Bottom