Planning for a future tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do love bolivian rams and panda corys but those tetras arent really my faves. I like serpae, silvertip, glowlight, buenos aires, congo, bloodfin, emperor, diamond, cochu's blue. Im very tempted to go 30 breeder for the congo tetra

Serpae and Buenos Aires are fin nippers. Congo and emperor are probably to big for a good school? Silvertip, glowlight, bloodfin, diamond and cochu's blue should work.

For serpae if the school is big enough they wont nip tankmates cause they will take it out on themselves from what I have read, Im leaning toward glowlight because Cory from aquarium coop said they are one of the most hardy tetras he has had in his store and since Im relatively new to the hobby I wanna stick to hardy fish.

And since we're talking about bolivian rams 1m and 2f?

Yes on the Bolivian Ram order. I heard it's hard to sex them as juvies though. I think you could probably get away with about 10 glowlight's as well.

You could probably go 6 glowlight and 6 with another group of Tetra.....silvertip...bloodfin..? And still have room for your panda Cories and rams.

Im gonna do glowlight and silvertip. Gonna do /30 breeder tank though for larger schools and maybe a couple more bolivians. What ya think?

That sounds like a nice tank.
Consider adding driftwood and one of the bushy nose plecos that stay proper size..
I have not kept Bolivian but would think a group of 6 is not out of the question. This how breeders stock to assure a pair at least. Re homing the other 4 may not be necessary as they are not as tough on each other or fragile as the GBR are.

Im gonna do glowlight and silvertip. Gonna do /30 breeder tank though for larger schools and maybe a couple more bolivians. What ya think?
As Bandit said, you could probably go 6. Bandit breeds fish so if he's giving it the ok then you are good to go.

So your stocking idea is going to possibly be 6 Bolivian Ram's, 6 Panda Cories, 6 Glowlight Tetra, 6 Silvertip Tetra? As Bandit pointed out, you could also add a bristlenose pleco to this stock.

Seems a lot of Congo tetras! I had a full grown school of about that many in a 4ft tank and had to agree with my sister it was very well stocked.

Aqadvisor should be taken with a grain of salt. Lol. If you look at the size of all your fish I would say this isn't too far off though. Your largest fish is your single pleco (6in). Your rams are only slightly larger than the Congo tetras. Pandas are 2 inches. If you are having concerns about overcrowding in the future once everything is full grown....maybe do 10 Congo Tetra rather than 14?

Yeah I dont use aqadvisor as a complete bible to fw tanks, I just use to get ideas more than anything. Hence why I posted to get advice. I can take the congos down to 8-10 to give them more swim space and prevent overcrowding. Thought rams were about an inch smaller than the congos since a lfs told me congos get 4"-5".

I've never kept Congo's personally but I was under the impression they are from 3-3.5 inches full grown.

I don't know where they get they are over 4 inches? Maybe go 8 and after a year or so see how big they get. You can always add to the stock.

Well majority online lists 3" but there are a few sites that says 5". Guess it depends on the fish's genetics.
True. I think 8 is a solid group for them and a reasonable stocking level for your tank. Go for it!!

Back
Top Bottom