Planning for a future tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spoke with my local petco on tank sizes they sell. Was told they never carry 30 breeder only 40 breeder. So for dollar per gallon savings going 40 breeder instead.

Well got my new room set up however I do not have space for a 40 breeder but I can fit a 20H in. Went and got the tank at petco (love dpg sale) as well as 2 10lb bags of caribsea Super Naturals sand.

Well tank is filled with water and the sand, poured in 2 capfuls of stability and a capful of prime. Monitored room temps of 75-76 degrees so I may not need a heater but will be keeping a fluval e 100w on hand just incase. Now the waiting comes.

This keeps happening where ever I move my aquaclear 50, what is it and whats causing it?

Attachments

• 20180403_140944.jpg
    20180403_140944.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 19
The flow of water is disturbing the sand enough to shift it away from whatever spot it's pointing at. Either need to baffle the flow somewhat or the water level needs to higher to prevent a waterflow effect

You can take a length of that plastic strip (that comes with the hinged glass tops) and fashion a baffle out of it. Here are some pics on some modified AC50s. You can bend the plastic so that water travels along the surface; reduces splashing, noise, and the substrate disruption that often happens with lighter weight substrates.IMG_5737.jpgIMG_5738.jpg

It is outflow from your filter .
Fresh has the best idea ^^^.
I have like 10 of those now.
Keep in mind the flow is blowing your sand around now ,but when you add hard scape like a rock or piece of wood you may have solved the problem already.
As tanks grow in with plants and hardscape flow[circulation] only goes down IMO.

I added 5 emerald green cories and an albino bushynose pleco to the tank. I tossed in some shrimp pellets and a algae disc. They ate it fairly quick, must of been very hungry.

They are doing greatt, eatting well and very active. I like them more than I thought I would. However pleco died not sure if he didnt get enough food or if it was lack of driftwood (or veggies as I just learned they like certain veggies).

Well the one I got was very very small luckily there is a bigger bristlenose close to full size for sale at another lfs Im gonna buy it if they still have it for sale.

Back
Top Bottom