planted 20 stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that would work! very pretty mix of fish. I just picked up a pair of double red apistos today they were expects huge though I paid $35 each!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54856.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54864.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54861.html

I personally love panda corys they are very cute and a smaller cory. I have 3 normal pandas and 2 long fin pandas very pretty! I do prefer to have pairs though over one of each but that's just me :)

That first pic is the exact one I want I so wish I lived wherever it is that you do I can't find any within a 2 1/2 hour drive. I'm still not sure on wich cories I want to get her yet or how many I can have with the rest of the stock I'm thinkin albino ones mabey. And again beautiful male apisto specimen. I want it lol.

That first pic is the exact one I want I so wish I lived wherever it is that you do I can't find any within a 2 1/2 hour drive. I'm still not sure on wich cories I want to get her yet or how many I can have with the rest of the stock I'm thinkin albino ones mabey. And again beautiful male apisto specimen. I want it lol.

Yeah he's very handsome thanks :) I'm pretty sure the other is a female. Well that's what I asked for anyway. Looks like they are male and female. They are expensive! Hope they breed for me one day! How much are they to order online where you are including shipping? I live in Western Australia.
Albino corys are cute too! I'd get at least four.
Sterbai cory and julli cory are also a smaller sized cory.

I've always wanted to go there. Jealous. With shipping for just one I'd be looking at twice what the fish really is worth. I can readily get the rest of the fish on that list except the IMO best looking one but imma wait it out and get that one last. :(

I've always wanted to go there. Jealous. With shipping for just one I'd be looking at twice what the fish really is worth. I can readily get the rest of the fish on that list except the IMO best looking one but imma wait it out and get that one last. :(

Your tank will be really cool anyway with all the other fish and plants. Just ask all the fish stores that do get them occasionally to take your number and call you when they are getting some in or have some In stock.
While your waiting you will have the other beautiful fishies to keep you entertained. Just keep that vacancy spare for your apisto ;)

Already in the works I'm actually taking a trip down to Daytona beach this wekend and will be stopping in a couple aquariums down there to look for some stock. I also have a cichlid tank so that keeps me prety entertained.

Would this work
1 bolivan ram
1apistogramma
1 dwarf gourami
11 rummynose
4 cories (or something smaller like pygmy cories)
I think she would be very happy with a stock like that
I'm also having the feeling were almost there!

Personally I think this is a bit overstocked. Also, this is a 20g tall, right? It's just not a big enough footprint for a ram, apisto, and DG to establish their little territories. Plus you'd need to really up the amount of plants you have (which it sounds like you plan on doing). For now maybe stick with 1-2 centerpieces (also consider that Bolivian rams, while hardier, also get slightly larger than regular GBR).

Personally I think this is a bit overstocked. Also, this is a 20g tall, right? It's just not a big enough footprint for a ram, apisto, and DG to establish their little territories. Plus you'd need to really up the amount of plants you have (which it sounds like you plan on doing). For now maybe stick with 1-2 centerpieces (also consider that Bolivian rams, while hardier, also get slightly larger than regular GBR).

What if I 86 the gourami 1 tetra and 1cory wich will leave me this.

1apistogramma cacatuoids with all 5 fins red
1ram
10 rummynose
3cories of the smaller size

And yes I do know there about an inch larger. But from what I hear a lot hardier. If that's last part isn't really true I would defiantly go with a gbr instead. But would rather not if the chance of just a water change could mess it up.

Last edited:
That could probably work assuming you stay on top of weekly PWCs (40%-50% would be ideal) and gravel vacuuming and have really good filtration. Again I want to emphasize getting more plants, as they'll help keep nitrates down but also provide the cover that rummynose and rams prefer. Floating plants like frogbit will help provide areas of shade that the rummynose will really appreciate, otherwise they may have a tendency to not really come out. I realize you just bought this tank but once MTS (multiple tank syndrome) inevitably hits it might be worth upgrading to like a 30gal long or a 40gal breeder. This will allow you to comfortably have the real sort of stock that you desire instead of loading one tank to the max. Just something to think about. (y)

I've had this tank up and running for almost a year and already upgraded to a 55 African cichlid tank 4 months later this was my grow up tank and I also got a 10g qt tank with the 55. That's y I've got this thread going to figure out who and how many of who I can put in there as I have only kept African cichlids I don't know much about community tanks.

Last edited:
I thought the dwarf gourami would be ok since it mainly inhibits the upper levels of the aquarium leaving the bottom free for the corys and 2 cichlids. I'd drop the school of rummys to 8 and keep the smaller corys at four.

I've had this tank up and running for almost a year and already upgraded to a 55 African cichlid tank 4 months later this was my grow up tank and I also got a 10g qt tank with the 55. That's y I've got this thread going to figure out who and how many of who I can put in there as I have only kept African cichlids I don't know much about community tanks.

Ah, my mistake. Cories do best in groups as well, so try to avoid just having the bare minimum. How about 8 rummynose, 5 panda cories, 1 ram, and a DG or a apisto? I'm honestly not 100% on the apisto and the ram as I've never housed two like that in that small of a tank but assuming you get two relatively docile ones it could work.

That could work. About the rams are the GBR as fragile as everyone says. I'd feel more comfortable with that in a 20 but I'd rather not kill i you know what I mean.

So we made our final decision
1 dwarf gourami
1apisto full red
10 rummynose
4 panda cory cats

We picked up the gourami today.
The rest are being ordered except the apisto I'm gonna get one that I can actually see before I buy it so I know its one I will def want.

Last edited:
Well got the yellow lab moved to the qt tank (its paramater are matched to my 55 he will be going into tomorrow) and got our new dwarf sunset (i think that's what they called it) gourami moved in. This lil guy is actually kinda cute. Hope he makes it. He is pretty small like 1"x3/4". I have my co2 reactor torn down for repairs my plants should b ok for a day right.

ForumRunner_20130411_172656.jpg

ForumRunner_20130411_172717.jpg

You don't have any plants that really need co2 right now.
GBRs aren't nearly as fragile as everyone says. That's from experience of having quite a few.
The apisto, ram, and dwarf gourami should all be fine together. Rams are timid when kept singly, dwarf gouramis are the most docile fish I've ever had (exept to eachother, and apistos should be fine if he has his own cave.

I do have dwarf baby tears in there they need co2 but I'm sure it will be ok for a day while the silicone dries. thanks though

Back
Top Bottom