please help with these rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought these rocks at a flea market type thing. I know the 3 big ones are Brazilian agate.. are they ok to use in fw aquarium? I'm thinking, not the pink one bc it may be dyed..? can someone tell me what the other rocks are? and if they are safe. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• please_id_2_189.jpg
    please_id_2_189.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 20
  • rightsize1_146.jpg
    rightsize1_146.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 27
I have a collection of these polished rocks myself, but I don't think I would put any in my tank. The biggest problem being, even if you know the type of rock is safe, there's no way of knowing whether or not a dye has been used as they so frequently are to enhance or even change entirely the colour of the rock. Agate, while it appears in nature in a pretty wide variety of colours, is also famous for being dyed to all sorts of variations, so I wouldn't trust it myself.

The light pink rock at the top is most likely rose quartz and should be ok, but again, there's no way of knowing if a dye has been added to enhance the colour. It's usually a more pale pink in nature than it appears in that photo, but not always, so it could be natural, or it could be dyed to enhance the colour.

Wish I could be more help, but it really is pretty hard to know whether or not dye has been used when you buy these rocks...

Being from the "If it ain't there in the natural habitat, it ain't going into my tank" crowd, marbles can look appealing but you don't know what went on to create the "appearance". You'd do much better with river rocks. They are of similar size and possess nothing within to cause you anguish.

Jchillin said:
Being from the "If it ain't there in the natural habitat, it ain't going into my tank" crowd, marbles can look appealing but you don't know what went on to create the "appearance". You'd do much better with river rocks. They are of similar size and possess nothing within to cause you anguish.
those rocks might be natural agates, agate does come in some cool reginal colors, but they look a little TO vibrants IMO and are are most likely dyed quartz. quarts is perfectly safe, but i am not so sure about the dyes... :?

i agree with jchillin about the "natural look" being the best... imo

If you really want to use them I'd give them a good soak (a few weeks) to see if any dye comes off.

Back
Top Bottom