Question about a 180 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooth9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to be buying a 180 gallon tank in the next couple weeks-months and I was just trying to get a feel of what you suggest I'd need with it.
I currently have a 55g with a 3-4inch albino tiger oscar and a 4-inch pleco. That tank is in great condition and I am more than happy with it but over the summer I will be looking to buy a second tank.

In the 180 gallon I plan on stocking it with a silver arowana, florida gar, azul peacock bass, and tiger shovelnose catfish. I plan on purchasing all these fish as babies so I can watch them grow:popcorn:(just as I have my oscar so far)

I plan on buying everything I will need for the tank before I actually get the tank (unless I find a deal on one).
So my question is, what heaters/filters/substrate/whatever else I would need to get this new tank up and running smoothly.

Thank you for the help and I hope to contribute to this forum the best that I can.:)

The 180 isn't big enough for a tiger Shovelnose or peacock bass. You could do a Lima Shovelnose though I feel like its not big enough for an arrowana or far either, they need 8 foot tanks. I would move the Pleco and Oscar up into it the 55 will not be big enough for both. A possible stock could be

1- Oscar
1- Lima Shovelnose Catfish
1- Common Pleco
6- Silver Dollars
1- Green Terror

The 180 isn't big enough for a tiger Shovelnose or peacock bass. You could do a Lima Shovelnose though I feel like its not big enough for an arrowana or far either, they need 8 foot tanks. I would move the Pleco and Oscar up into it the 55 will not be big enough for both. A possible stock could be

1- Oscar
1- Lima Shovelnose Catfish
1- Common Pleco
6- Silver Dollars
1- Green Terror

I agree with josh that those fish wont work. The gars get huge and the peacock bass- see if you can find a fishing show from where they are from, I'd say a 1000 gallon minimum..... Thats just my opinion. Many o the larger fish will tear apart a planted tank, but if you are planting and getting that large of a tank than u will need co2. Better lighting, and besides normal on the tank filtration, I recommend multiple sponge filters- look them up. Possibly bubblers and those water jet head things, Im forgetting the name. Gravel, decor, dechlorinators, etc. if youve set up a tank before, its all very similar.

Okay after doing some further research and thanks to y'all's responses I have come up with a new stock list idea for both the 180 and 55 gallon.

I have decided to shy away from the silver aro and florida gar, however, how would an azul peacock bass, tiger shovelnose, and my current oscar do in a 180 gallon?
I will have no problem giving the bass and catfish a new home as soon as they need it because one of my friends has a 600 gallon tank and a relative has an indoor pond.

Basically, I am looking for a predator tank with the 180 and with the 55 I want a more peaceful tank.

180 gallon
azul peacock bass
tiger shovelnose
my current oscar

For the 55 gallon I was thinking a group of cory cats (love those little guys), and I'm not sure of what else I would like to put in it. I was thinking some shrimp but I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to the shrimp or any smaller aquarium fish if I'm being honest.
Ideally I would like to also have a pair or two of breeder fish to where I could feed the young to my bigger tank on occasion.

I am clueless when it comes to the smaller fish so if someone could recommend a stocklist for my 55g that includes some type of cory cats and possibly some "breeder feeders" that would be great.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense, but thanks for the help:):flowers:

The Shovelnose and peacock bass are still to big. You need a 300 gallon for them. I would look into a Lima Shovelnose catfish they will do well in a 180.

Equipment wise,

2 (probably3) 300 watt heaters

2 Large canister filters (Eheim 2080?) or a Large sump with an additional canister.

Pool filter sand or Black blasting sand would be a good substrate and cut down on the price a ton for a tank that big

Back
Top Bottom