R/O for new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a new freshwater tank and want to use R/O water (to avoid brown algae or cyano bacteria, which ever it is that seems to plague me). I have a 30g reef tank that I use R/O for now and I know that the salt mix has all the trace elements necessary but I don't know how freshwater fish will do in such a sterile environment. I have seen products like R/O right but all they add it seems is general hardness, not even Alkalinity so whats the use? How often would I have to add freshwater trace element if at all? Is R/O even used/recommended for freshwater? If R/O is ok for freshwater what would be the best way to go about getting the water hospitable?

Thanks,
Karl

karlseith said:
I am setting up a new freshwater tank and want to use R/O water (to avoid brown algae or cyano bacteria, which ever it is that seems to plague me).

Don't be surprised if you still get Cyano even with R/O water. Seems like in certain areas Cyano just has a perpetual foothold. :(

karlseith said:
I have seen products like R/O right but all they add it seems is general hardness, not even Alkalinity so whats the use?

I use R/O water in my freshwater tank. I use 2 products to get my water parameters where I want them:

Electro-Right - Adds all the necessary trace elements and minerals fish need (increases GH).

PH Adjuster - Increases the PH of the water. The more you put in the higher the PH. Also increases KH.

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/aqwater.html

R/O Right should work the same way. I would guess there is a KH/PH additive as well. I've never used that brand so be sure to research the products and make sure you are getting the right one. I think they make different variations of R/O Right depending on the type of fish you want to keep so be careful.

karlseith said:
How often would I have to add freshwater trace element if at all? Is R/O even used/recommended for freshwater? If R/O is ok for freshwater what would be the best way to go about getting the water hospitable?

Using R/O additives in freshwater is very similar to saltwater in that you only treat the water once. When you do a water change be sure that you've already treated the "new" water before adding it to the tank. Using R/O water (properly treated) is better than using straight tap water imho. The downside is a lot more work is involved though.

I'd get whatever product you favor for this purpose and begin experimenting. Make sure you know how much to add to the water to get the desired result. Then just be sure to maintain that ratio during water changes. And when topping your water off, only use "pure untreated" R/O water.

Good Luck!

Hi karlseith :D . Before you take on all this extra work and expense I think you should have a better idea of what your end result should be. If it's just to eliminate algae, it's no gaurantee.

Thanks for the quick replys. I think I am going to take your advice and experiment with a small 10g first. One last question though..
PH Adjuster - Increases the PH of the water. The more you put in the higher the PH. Also increases KH

The non phosphate based pH adjusters I have used seem to work initially but after about 24 to 48 hours the pH drops/raises right back to the original level. Do you have that problem at all? What product do you use?

Thanks,
Karl

I usually try and avoid chemicals to alter PH. I find it stresses the fish and doesn't usually last. There is a product called chemipure however which does work rather well. It's carbon based and is placed in the filter basket.

What is the PH of your tap water?

Back
Top Bottom