Ready For More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vettech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK so I think my tank is finally done cycling and I am ready to build my community. Currently I have a rhino pleco that's 18", 2 Siamese algae eaters that are 6"-7", and 1 skunk loach about 2". They all stay on the bottom of course and I want some fish that prefer the middle and top of the tank. Also prefer lots of color and not too small in size. My tank is 75 gallons. Anybody have any suggestions on new tank residents?

P.S. My husband really wants some Bala sharks! Is this a good idea with my current residents?:evil:

Well, actually bala sharks aren't sharks at all. They're just named that way because they look long and slender like one. From what I know of them, they're pretty peaceful, but they get really big.

Yeah, a 75 gallon tank could fit them... but I would be more concerned about their size rather than the other fish in the tank. If you were to get some, don't get more than two, and be careful about how much more you stock your tank thereafter. You're getting pretty (really) full, especially with an 18" pleco.

more fish ideas

ok so I knew they were not really sharks but if get 2 of those it is going to limit how many other fish I can get right? What else would be good to start off with?

I know this is kind of a silly question, but is your tank fully cycled? That will be part of the determining factor too.

Going on the assumption that it is, if you're looking for low bioload fish that you can get schools of, I recommend tetras or danios. There are lots of variety, especially in Danios, that can school together and I think you'll like the way that turns out. If you're willing to get something a little less peaceful, try a gourami. Dwarf gouramis are quite peaceful, if a little territorial, but won't grow to the size to compete with the much larger fish in the tank. Up to you on that one.

Personally, if I were to stock a 75-gallon, I would get a school of six Glass Catfish. They're beautiful, friendly, and grow to be about four inches each. Some other nice fish to consider are a swordtail, a platy, or perhaps a school of guppies. All of those are pretty hardy fish.

You could try large neon tetras. They're a little more sensitive, but a school of seven or eight of those could get along great with other peaceful fish.

filter in my tank

Another ?, I currently have 2 Aqua500's running in my tank. is this sufficiant for my tank of 75g or is this too much?

correction sorry

I meant an AQUACLEAR 500 and an AQUACLEAR 110 sorry they are filtration systems.

Then in that case, even if it is too much, I don't see a problem with it. So long as the current caused by the filters isn't negatively affecting your fish, the added filtration is generally better.

AC filters are fantastic and I love their versatility. If you're running carbon in one of them, I recommend you wash it in the tank water and replace it with BioBags. Those things will be wonderful for your cycle and maintaining your biological filter.

Everything.

Sadly, what a lot of people are led to believe is that the carbon somehow saps out all the bad stuff in the water, but really, the carbon does next to nothing. Granted, it's good for getting excess meds out of your water and clearing up cloudy water, but apart from that it's really quite useless... Furthermore, carbon may even leech good minerals and nutrients out of your water.

Biobags are ceramic beads in a similar bag as your carbon. They're porous and are a fantastic place for your healthy bacteria to grow. The best part about it is that you don't actually have to replace it.

Lots of LFS and even filter companies will tell you to change your filter monthly. That's a marketing ploy to get you to continue to buy their filters, especially in single-stage cartridges (carbon, filter floss, and biological filter all in one). The beauty of the aquaclears is that you can have more than one bag in the baskets. My AC50 can hold two bags in its basket and right now is using a carbon and a biobag. Once I'm through with the carbon, I'll be exchanging it with a biobag too.

My Tetra Whisper 10 uses single-stage, so that'll be all the carbon I need.

Bottom line, the BioBags give your bacteria a place not only to grow, but to thrive, and because you aren't replacing it regularly, it's far more stable and you don't have to worry about dumping a whole lot of your healthy bacteria when you do a filter cartridge change.

ok so I didnt know they were called biobags but i have 1 of those in each filter as well. Maybe I should start over. In each of the hang on filters I have 1 of those biobags (i made my own, just bought the bags and put those ceramic beads in each), homemade bags of carbon, and the large sponge type filters. I am uncertain if my cycling is complete.

I'm not sure what you would be starting over, but I don't think that's necessary in any case. You have the sponges, which is great, and biobags too? Great. You're already well on your way then!

If you're uncertain that your cycling is complete or not, it's really easy to find out. If you haven't done so already, it's imperative that you invest in an Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kit. You can get one from API for about 25-30 dollars.

To know that your tank is fully cycled, your Ammonia should be 0 (or very close), your NitrIte should be 0 (or very close), and your NitrAte should be between 10-20. This will indicate that your bacterial colonies have grown to be able to consume all the Ammonia, change it into NitrIte, and then NitrIte into NitrAte.

If your any of your parameters are high, then that's bad news for your fish and you'll want to do a partial water change (PWC). For your tank and your current stock, you'll want to do about a 15-20 Gallon change every day until you can get your levels down. When your levels stop rising, then you can ease off the frequency of your PWCs.

These water changes won't hurt your fish, so long as you use a dechlorinator for all the water you put back in. I use AquaSafe, myself. And try to make sure the new water is about the same temperature as the water in your tank.

I was kidding about starting over the conversation!:clown: I have the test strips and I wasn't aware until I became involved in this website that I should be using the liquid test. My nitrites dropped to 0 all of a sudden yesterday, but my nitrates were still above 40, the ammonia I have no clue about because the strip doesn't test that. I also noticed that the pH has dropped into the acidic range , but not by much. I did a PWC today, about 25g or so and siphoned the gravel. It has been cycling for almost 4 weeks now. The residents in the tank came with the tank and because the pleco is so big I had no choice but to do a cycle with the fish. He and the 2 Siamese algae eaters are originals to the tank and are about 16 yrs old. I did keep 25g of the original water before transporting the tank and fish to my house and the filters and contents within were already with the tank when I took possesion.

Sounds like the tank is really well-established then, and with the readings you gave me on your parameters, your tank is cycled. The PWC was a good idea as your nitrates were high.

The tip in Ph isn't really a problem, though keep checking it to make sure that it doesn't continue to going in that direction. And also, if you treat your tank to balance the Ph, be sure to do so -very- gradually. The change in acidity or alkalinity of the water can shock the fish just as much as a rapid change in temperature or spike in ammonia.

Otherwise, looks like you're good to go! Sorry to ask you all the inane questions... I just wanted to make sure the answers I was giving you were as accurate as possible. :]

Back
Top Bottom