Seachem Stability & plants during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I'm going to be starting up a 10 gallon planted betta tank in a couple of months and I have a couple questions about cycling. First off, I've read countless great reviews on Seachem Stability for starting up a cycle, but if anyone else has used it in a new tank to jump-start the cycle, I'd love to hear your opinions! Secondly, will plants be okay if they're in the tank during the entire cycling process? If not, at what point can I add them? Thanks in advance! :)

I add tons of plants while cycling. They can speed up the cycle. And make it go smoother. In extreme cases, you can also get what is called a silent cycle where you never get high spikes of ammonia or nitrate which has happened to me and is my ideal scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I add tons of plants while cycling. They can speed up the cycle. And make it go smoother. In extreme cases, you can also get what is called a silent cycle where you never get high spikes of ammonia or nitrate which has happened to me and is my ideal scenario.

Yeah, silent cycles are great, but you have to have a proper plant set up for them to work properly. This includes ferts, light, and a carbon source.

I can't say I'm familiar with carbon but the filter I'll be using is the Marineland Biowheel filter, which has activated carbon. I assume that's the same thing? And for lights, I'll be using LED. As far as ferts go, I'll buy any I need! Just so long as it's not a bunch of components for me to measure out and mix in etc., I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough for that LOL.

I can't say I'm familiar with carbon but the filter I'll be using is the Marineland Biowheel filter, which has activated carbon. I assume that's the same thing? And for lights, I'll be using LED. As far as ferts go, I'll buy any I need! Just so long as it's not a bunch of components for me to measure out and mix in etc., I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough for that LOL.

I was referring more to the silent start method with my post, but I guess now is as good a time as any to talk about the plants you will be using :)

What plants?
What Light system? (LED is pretty ambiguous as they have different power levels)

The carbon refers either to CO2 or Glutaraldehyde which is available for plants to use to grow the same way trees will create oxygen. Activated carbon in the filter isn't the same.

The light and plants really determine what you need as far as ferts and a carbon source go.

I have used Stability, and it seemed to work. The stuff from API was worse than worthless. Plants do well during the cycling process because they actually prefer ammonia to nitrates. It is a good rule of thumb to allow the plants to establish themselves before adding ferts to the water column so they can outcompete algae.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

The plants are all basic, I'm getting an 'easy plant package' online. The lights are the LEDs from the marineland hood, I think it's 22 white LEDs and 2 blues. If you can't tell, I'm trying to keep this setup as low-maintenance as possible! ;)

& it's comforting to hear another good review for Stability! Thanks!

I know that there are a lot of variables to consider, but in general, should this plan work?: fill the tank, use Flourite as substrate and as soon as it settles, arrange the plants how I like. Follow the dosage instructions for Seachem Stability. Add ammonia (or is it not necessary in addition to Stability?) and cycle as normal.

I have the API master test kit for water testing and I've read up on all the fishless cycling threads, I think I just need it to be said simply so I know where to start. :')

The plants are all basic, I'm getting an 'easy plant package' online. The lights are the LEDs from the marineland hood, I think it's 22 white LEDs and 2 blues. If you can't tell, I'm trying to keep this setup as low-maintenance as possible! ;)

& it's comforting to hear another good review for Stability! Thanks!

I know that there are a lot of variables to consider, but in general, should this plan work?: fill the tank, use Flourite as substrate and as soon as it settles, arrange the plants how I like. Follow the dosage instructions for Seachem Stability. Add ammonia (or is it not necessary in addition to Stability?) and cycle as normal.

I have the API master test kit for water testing and I've read up on all the fishless cycling threads, I think I just need it to be said simply so I know where to start. :')

I don't trust the bacterial additives, but there's nothing wrong in using them as long as you understand that you're still going to have to cycle the tank. Personally, I prefer a nice seeded piece of filter media. A full cycle for me took a week and a half doing that.

As for the "easy plant package" we are back to the ambiguous statements :) Easy means different things to different people. Personally, I consider a plant such as Staurogyne repens to be a very very easy plant. It won't grow under a fixture like the marineland light though because it just doesn't emit enough light.

For that fixture you should look at plants such as Cryptocoryne (crypts), Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, and Bolbitis. They are all very easy plants to grow and are all low light plants as well.

Yes, I'm expecting it to take around a month to cycle fully! Of course I'm hoping for a shorter wait than that, but it doesn't matter too much if I have to be patient. :p

The plants are Amazon swords, Anacharis, Brazilian micro swords, Vallisnerias, Hornwort, Crypts, Echinodorus, and Moneywort.

Yes, I'm expecting it to take around a month to cycle fully! Of course I'm hoping for a shorter wait than that, but it doesn't matter too much if I have to be patient. :p

The plants are Amazon swords, Anacharis, Brazilian micro swords, Vallisnerias, Hornwort, Crypts, Echinodorus, and Moneywort.

The vallisneria and echniodorus really depend on what type they are. Some do okay under lower light while some require higher light.

I have doubts about the Brazilian micro swords and moneywort doing well under that fixture

The rest should do okay to varying degrees.

It doesn't specify a type of vallisnerias, but it does say Echinodorus ozelot. I sure hope the moneywort works out, it's one of my favorites on the list!

Anyway, thanks very much for being so helpful! It's greatly appreciated! :D

For easy liquid ferts I use
1x weekly
API LeafZone
Flourish comprehensive
Flourish Excel (u can add daily)

Root tabs near Swords and Crypts.

I would rinse and add substrate.
Plant the tank
Put down a plate, fill slowly. The plate helps spread the water.

http://youtu.be/44cDbR2YvK4

Very helpful video for a beginner such as myself. Thanks for sharing.

Yes that's an awesome video, thanks! And thanks for the fertilizer recommendations, I will most definitely put them on my shopping list. :)

Back
Top Bottom