Serpae tetras in a 10 gall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcmakesiteasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yesterday the guy at the LFS who seemed very knowledgeable and told me he'd been running the store for over 20 years recommended that I buy 3 serpae tetras for my new cycled 10 gallon. So i took his advice, put the little guys in (floating bag) and they seem to be doing fine. Tested water levels everything looks good. I did some research and seems to me a lot of people suggest a bigger school, and that serpae are a bit aggressive. I was wondering what other fish I can get with them, and if I should increase my school size (i was thinking like 5) I really want to get some corys, but other than that i'm open to anything else (no guppies).

I have 3 serpaes in an 18g planted tank with some other fish. My tank has the same footprint as a 10 gallon. My serpaes are just fine in their tank in a group of 3. Mine are a bit on the aggressive side, so I added 3 tiger barbs to help calm them down. I will be adding more tiger barbs soon, as they are much more aggressive and I've got one larger one that needs more fins to nip before he take everyone out.

For you - the serpaes and maybe a couple headlight tail light tetras or red-eye tetras and a couple corys on the bottom and you will be good. Get some live plants too.

I have 3 serpaes in an 18g planted tank with some other fish. My tank has the same footprint as a 10 gallon. My serpaes are just fine in their tank in a group of 3. Mine are a bit on the aggressive side, so I added 3 tiger barbs to help calm them down. I will be adding more tiger barbs soon, as they are much more aggressive and I've got one larger one that needs more fins to nip before he take everyone out.

For you - the serpaes and maybe a couple headlight tail light tetras or red-eye tetras and a couple corys on the bottom and you will be good. Get some live plants too.

Yeah I was thinking getting some other tetras, I really like the tetra species. Do you think the tetras will all get along say if I had another two small schools and maybe a couple corys hanging out at the bottom? I'm afriad of the cory's getting picked on :huh:

So yesterday the guy at the LFS who seemed very knowledgeable and told me he'd been running the store for over 20 years recommended that I buy 3 serpae tetras for my new cycled 10 gallon. So i took his advice, put the little guys in (floating bag) and they seem to be doing fine. Tested water levels everything looks good. I did some research and seems to me a lot of people suggest a bigger school, and that serpae are a bit aggressive. I was wondering what other fish I can get with them, and if I should increase my school size (i was thinking like 5) I really want to get some corys, but other than that i'm open to anything else (no guppies).

Smaller groups will tend to be more aggressive. With larger tanks and more fish in their group it spreads the nippiness and keeps fish intact.

I would not have tried Serpaes in a 10g.
They get some size and are active swimmers.

I usually recommend live plants and nano species like Celestial Pearl Danios or Ember Tetras.

We stopped selling 3 Tiger Barbs at a time. Told people buy 5 or 6 minimum. With smaller groups they'd kill each other usually. I'm talking years of selling these fish.

Personally I'd start over. Serpaes are hardy, that's probably why he sold you those. If you want to keep them, add some hiding places. Plants if possible and research before adding anything else.

If you want to check my profile you can see my small tanks.

First off.. Serpaes don't belong in a 10g. Yes they fit but their activity level is why the require a larger tank, 20g max. And yes serpaes can get aggressive, I even had a school of 6 in a 55g and they were fine for two weeks but even still got aggressive towards other fish. And I hate to break it to ya.. But you were giving bad advice, tetras are a schooling fish that need groups or atleast 5, something he should've known.

it seems to me those three are doing absolutely fine...swimming around going about. They arent attacking eachother and I dont know why the LFS guy would be giving me bad advice because the tetras weren't the most expensive fish, I told him everythign about my tank and that I wanted a community tank. He told me start with 3 tetras and start adding. I also forgot to mention that these tetras were in a tank with various other fish and they seemed to be getting along. I dont know what to do at this point, I think ill probably keep them and have to see what they get along with. Some people are saying that tetras are fine in a 10 gal, and some are saying that they shouldnt be. I guess it really just depends on the person and their views on fish keeping.

it seems to me those three are doing absolutely fine...swimming around going about. They arent attacking eachother and I dont know why the LFS guy would be giving me bad advice because the tetras weren't the most expensive fish, I told him everythign about my tank and that I wanted a community tank. He told me start with 3 tetras and start adding. I also forgot to mention that these tetras were in a tank with various other fish and they seemed to be getting along. I dont know what to do at this point, I think ill probably keep them and have to see what they get along with. Some people are saying that tetras are fine in a 10 gal, and some are saying that they shouldnt be. I guess it really just depends on the person and their views on fish keeping.

We are just telling you what may work for a long term happy tank. Once they reach sexual maturity and get territorial the game may and probably will change.

Most retailers are dealing with juvenile fish that never get a chance to settle in and show true behavior.

Anyway, keep reading and keep your eyes and mind open and make your own informed opinions.

It hard to hear but people will tell you anything to sell you anything. You dont want to know how many people here have been given advice by an 'aquatics expert' who claims to have worked in the field for years on end. I hate to say it but there's really no way of telling if your being given solid advice by someone who really knows what their doing or someone who has just been taught or learned what to say to sell stuff. Sad but it happens. Your usually better off taking advice from someone who owns their own fish/pet store vs a larger chain store because that is their business on the line and they know you can't run a business by telling customers anything just to sell stuff. Like at my LFS they only have 3 people working there, always the same 3 people and they are all very knowledgable. I know what they are talking about because I've purposely researched something and went in and asked just to see what their response is. They even ask people who walk in about their tank size, etc.

We are just telling you what may work for a long term happy tank. Once they reach sexual maturity and get territorial the game may and probably will change.

Most retailers are dealing with juvenile fish that never get a chance to settle in and show true behavior.

Anyway, keep reading and keep your eyes and mind open and make your own informed opinions.

I've had 3 serpaes in my 18 for over a year and they are fine, healthy, active. I know an 18 has more water (80% more) than a 10, a higher column of water to swim, but the same size footprint.

If the 3 are working for you I don't see a need to change. Also, I didn't recommend any tiger barbs in your 10. I need to add 3 or 4 more in mine just to keep the rest alive.

I ended up keeping the serpae's, got 4 red eye tetras and they are getting alone great. No nipping everyone minding their own business, will update on future additions/behaviors

cryptocorynes grow easily and fast.

And should you want to supplement with Flourish Excel, it is best to not add anacharis, as the two don't get along very well.

Back
Top Bottom