Shrimp or algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I only have room in my tank for one or the other. Which one is better for a community tank and cleaning algae?

What size tank and what kind of algae? What fish do you have in there currently?

What size tank and what kind of algae? What fish do you have in there currently?

Currently I have 3 electric tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 fire gourami, 3 ghost cats, and 1 peacock gudgeon. I'm not sure what kind of algae. There's not much though, should I wait till more grows?

What type of algae eater do you want?
Shrimp are great guys little cleaners. Is your tank planted?

I was thinking a Siamese sucker because they don't get very big and I only have a 20 gallon. It's semi planted not too dense but not with real plants.

I was thinking a Siamese sucker because they don't get very big and I only have a 20 gallon. It's semi planted not too dense but not with real plants.

Since there are no real plants, you should prob go for be sae. Shrimp prefer to have nicely planted ( real plants ) tanks to hang onto the leaves.

Since there are no real plants, you should prob go for be sae. Shrimp prefer to have nicely planted ( real plants ) tanks to hang onto the leaves.

Ok thanks! Will he eat the algae off the deco and and sides or will I have to clean it myself?

SAE grow too big and are active, fast swimmers. They won't clean glass either. Shrimp are totally cute. Either way you will have to do the occasional glass clean yourself.
Or you could get a little bristlenose, and when she starts getting bigger, sell her and buy another small one?

How big do sae grow? Though they are fast and active fish. I thought they maxed out around 5"?

Max out at 6" but even at 4" they need a 4' long tank to be free to swim and play naturally. Mine dart from one end of their 6' tank to the other in the blink of an eye.

The only algae eater that I know of who eats algae at EVERY stage of their life, doesn't prefer fish food, and doesn't ever become territorial or aggressive, is the Otto.

Max out at 6" but even at 4" they need a 4' long tank to be free to swim and play naturally. Mine dart from one end of their 6' tank to the other in the blink of an eye.

The only algae eater that I know of who eats algae at EVERY stage of their life, doesn't prefer fish food, and doesn't ever become territorial or aggressive, is the Otto.

Ottos are great little guys too :D. I don't have any sae for sale anywhere around here so I don't have experience with them ;). The only bad thing about the Otto is they are not the easiest to keep.

Oh I thought the Siamese suckers were the small ones. What algae eater do you recommend for a 20 gallon?

Maybe you should try one of these. I usually just see them labeled as algae eater or Chinese algae eater

ForumRunner_20130724_204346.jpg

Maybe you should try one of these. I usually just see them labeled as algae eater or Chinese algae eater

The problem about Chinese algae eaters is that they get territorial and a bit aggressive when they grow older. And the older they get, the less algae they eat.

I just put a few in my tank with African cichlids that are a lot bigger but they are too quick to be caught.....

Back
Top Bottom