sock ideas for new 55 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickie_online

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought my first big tank. Currently have 15 gallon and 5 gallon planted tanks (wisteria, java fern, java moss, baccopa, sword, vallsneria) but will most likely retire these two tanks when I get my new one up and running. First I need advice on tank inhabitants - I want something that works well with plants. I LOVE discus but I've heard they're super hard to keep. I've also been interested in parrot cichlids and even angels. IF I take my current inhabitants over I will have a school of cherry and amano shrimp, neon tetras, pink danios and a betta (although I'd be ok leaving the other tanks as is if I found another suitable option for the new beast).

Additional info : I do water changes once a week. Will be running stock LED lights on aquarium in a box setup to start with but will eventually be updating to finnex and will most definitely be having a pleco of some sort for algae keep up. Right now I have an albino bristle nose in my 15 that I'd take over.

Thanks for any help. I've only had tanks for about 8 months now and have quickly become addicted. (I had them when I was younger but gave them up when I moved).

TIA!

a school of harlequin rasboras would be worth looking at. If you get angelfish I think the odd missing neon may happen.

I concur, Angels will take out the neons and likely the shrimp one by one. I love harliquins, but what about Celestrial Danios? Any cichlid is going to eat the shrimp and may do a number on the plants. If you're looking for a bottom dweller without whiskers, you may try 8-10 kuhli loaches. I'd look at look at some sort of livebearer, Swords would be nice say 4-5. You could go with a group of 6-8 penquin tetras. Some Least Killies would add a small by consistent live food supply as would 1-2 female Endlers. Dwarf frogs would be cool as would a few flounder.

That sounds nice :)

I was trying to think of a nice centre fish. Thought of a gourami but I guess not with the betta.

I tried that once when I started years ago and didn't know. I think it was a 3 spot gourami (not sure on name) and a betta. The gourami was quite placid until the betta had a go at him and regretted it ever after until I shifted the betta into a breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom