starting a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!!! I got exciting news. I just tested everything and my levels were: ammo 2.0 or 3.0 (the color was are hard to tell..)
nitrites 0.50
ph 7.6

last night I put in a bio bag of gravel from my 55gal into the 29. so I think that jump started it a bit? when can I add fish food?

okay so ill probably dose the ammo back up tomorrow night? is that okay?

Lets see how your readings look tommorrow night. You should be fine to add a bit tommorrow to bring it up but not the full dose of amm unless the amm zeroes out completely. :)

After seeing Nitrites how often to we need to add pinches of food or pure ammo? Im at about 2.5-3 ammonia 1-1.5 nitrites and 0 nitrates Ph is stable at 7.6 This is after about 4 weeks and i started with about 5.0 ammonia. Only after I added all my decor about a week ago including a large piece of driftwood did I notice a drop in ammonia and rise in nitrites

After seeing Nitrites how often to we need to add pinches of food or pure ammo? Im at about 2.5-3 ammonia 1-1.5 nitrites and 0 nitrates Ph is stable at 7.6 This is after about 4 weeks and i started with about 5.0 ammonia. Only after I added all my decor about a week ago including a large piece of driftwood did I notice a drop in ammonia and rise in nitrites

Generally, when you start to see your ammonia start to drop steadily on a daily basis. If it hits 2ppm (or lower) in 24hrs, dose it back up to 4ppm. Dosing it to 5ppm really isnt necessary & may be a bit of overkill. As your ammonia is starting to drop & your seeing nitrites, just keep monitoring your numbers daily. Adding a pinch of fish can really be done at any time & is not a necessity but it can help so theres no harm in doing it. Sounds like your making progress! :)

okay my ammo dropped to 0.25!!!! I wouldnt off let it get that low but I was at work all day.
ammo 0.25
nitrites 5.0
ph 7.4.

its going by fast it seems..

update I changed my filter media in the 55gal cycled and set it in the bottom of my 29 over the bubbles. is that okay?

Looks good! Putting the extra filter media over the bubbles is a good idea if theres no room inside your filter. :)

its a aqueon 20 and I didnt want it to overflow if I put it in there

Back
Top Bottom