starting a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so now its coming to the point where my ammo it dropping to 0.25 in a matter of 9 hours. lol

Ammo 0.25
nitrites 5.0 maybe higher.
ph 7.4

Thats great- this means your amm will zero out completely in 24hrs. Now, we just have to wait out the nitrite phase. In my opinion, the nitrite phase is the hardest aspect to endure and its also the longest, so stock up on your patience! :)

i think it has been cause the color it shows between 0.25 and 0 it light light yellow/green. when can I do a big water change?

When ever you want to do one to lower your nitrites down to a readable level (@2 or less). Dont be surprised if they sky-rocket right back up the next day. Just make sure you temp-match & condition the water. Phase 2 of the waiting game! :)

ammo 1.0
nitrites 5.0
ph 7.0
it didnt slow down.. I just slept in and didnt dose it till 9am

Keep a close eye on your ph because its starting to drop. If it falls below 7 tommorrow, a water change needs to be done to re-establish buffers. Its easier to avert a crash with a water change rather than waiting for one to happen & have your bacteria affected & cycle slowed. :)

Last edited:
last night I did a water change of 50%. tested my water this morning
ammo 0.25
nitrites 1.0
ph 7.6
nitrates 5.0

Thats good! The water change brought your ph back up and your nitrites are in a readable range. Good work so far!! :)

update ammo 1.0
nitrites 1.0
ph 7.0
nitrates 5.0

it seems like its slowed down?
why are my nitrites so low?

update ammo 1.0
nitrites 1.0
ph 7.0
nitrates 5.0

it seems like its slowed down?
why are my nitrites so low?

It's hard to tell, the water change yesterday obviously lowered them. You had 0 ammonia in 24 hours though before right? Ph is dropping again fast though, that could be an issue too.

Let's leave it alone for tonight and see how things are tomorrow night. If PH drops further another pwc is in order. How long has PH been dropping, do you know? And how long have you had nitrite show up?

actually I did a water change sat. and ph started to drop friday

I think we may need to add a bit of crushed coral to your filter- the water changes are bringing you ph back up but its now dropping quite quickly & your conversion is slowing down. The cr coral should help stabilize everything. Use a mesh bag or piece of panythose to place the cr coral & place it in your filter. Lets see if this helps!

Most lfs carry it though it may be in the saltwater section. If you live near a beach, crushed shells would work as well.

theres a saltwater fish store not to far from my house. lol I live in kansas...

Back
Top Bottom