starting a new 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
any suggestions for fish plants and filters. all ideas welcome. also should i have a fishless cycle or with fish also how long should the cycle take place and what should i do for the cycle kinda forget its been a couple of years? thanks everyone.

fishless cycle...check the articles section for a nice outline of the process.

typical cycle is 3-6 weeks, fishless or fishy. fishless is kind of foolproof...at the very least if you make a mistake, no fish are harmed, no foul.

for filters, I'd go with a canister filter. rena filstar xp2 is what I like.

fish, totally up to you. go with what YOU like :)

plants...we have a separate section for planted tanks. you might wanna look there, as you can have a low light, low cost platned tank, or a high light, high tech planted tank that costs almost as much as a full SW reef - roughly $10-$15 per gallon to setup, not counting fish or plants, just hardware (mainly lighting, and CO2) and the plant substrate.

my fish list for my new tank tell me if its good or not.

2 cutters cichlid
2 electric blue hap
2 johanni
2 nyasa golden cichlid
2 slender pseudotropheus
2 keyhole cichlid
2 pseudotropheus joanjohnsonae

most od these are the scientific names i hope my lfs has them im starting a chilchlid tank and related members. also tell me requirments for these fish thanks. ryan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom