Still not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have asked at Petsmart and Petco, but they won't lend me any. I've tried Stability for the first four weeks. I am going to replace the activated carbon, as the directions in the AquaClear Filter directions say to do.

Thanks for all the advice. :fish2::facepalm::(

finding a small business pet shop(mom and pop shop) that isnt a major chain will probably sell you some used filter media or a used carbon or some used gravel from one of there tanks, this will help seed your tank with the bacteria

I have asked at Petsmart and Petco, but they won't lend me any. I've tried Stability for the first four weeks. I am going to replace the activated carbon, as the directions in the AquaClear Filter directions say to do.

Thanks for all the advice. :fish2::facepalm::(

Personally, I would remove the charcoal while cycling, just use as much filtering pad as you can use to try and build up a bacteria culture and never change it, if it gets too clogged up just lightly rinse it in de-chlorinated water.
The thing is to never change or replace the pad, even after your tank/filter has been through the cycle, you need to maintain a certain amount of bacteria in the filter or else you'll will be starting a cycle all over again.

finding a small business pet shop(mom and pop shop) that isnt a major chain will probably sell you some used filter media or a used carbon or some used gravel from one of there tanks, this will help seed your tank with the bacteria

I remember years ago when small mom and pop shops would give away a bit of their dirty gravel so you could speed up the process.

Indeed there's a little mom and pop bird/aquarium shop here that I go to and they provide way better service then the chain stores I goto, they still arnt crazy about selling media or used carbons but its still a better pet shop experience hands down

Back
Top Bottom