Stocking a 38g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirwired

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, this isn't a real urgent topic since the tank isn't even here yet, and it will take a month-ish to cycle, but I am already trying to figure out stocking.

Here is what I am looking at so far for my 38g (36"x12"x19"): (Note the quantities of each are off the top of my head, as my notes are at home.)

5-6 Cherry Barbs (these are supposed to be not that terriable, unlike Tigers, right?)
6 Harlequin Raspboras (Not a real exciting fish, but supposedly hardy and nice to watch in schools.)
5-6 Peppered Cories (I can't resist those things! They act like fishy kittens.)
2 male Dwarf Gouramis. (likely one "plain", and the other maybe a Honey Dwarf)

I am getting conflicting advice on those Dwarf Gouramis from another board, so I thought I would try here. Some sites say you should get a bunch so they work out agression on each other, others say you should only get one so it wont get into territory disputes with another fish. Some places say two can work out in tanks larger than a 29g. Ack! My actual plan was to get the tank going, minus Gouramis, and then introduce them singly to see how well they get along in the tank.

If have to ditch the Gouramis, any suggestions on some fish that could provide some blue/purple-ish color to the tank?

I plan on providing quite a bit of fake-plant and maybe some fake-rock "cover" for all. As some sites have suggested, some of the fake plants will go all the way to the surface to provide some surface cover also.

SirWired

IMO I would just keep one Dwarf Gourami, would you have somewhere to put the other Dwarf Gourami if things didn't work out with 2 in there? Cherry Barbs are peaceful and not fin nippers like the Tiger Barbs, so they would be fine. You could get away with less than 5-6 of these though, they don't tend to school together so you could maybe just keep a couple. Up to you though. Harlequin Raspboras are nice fish to watch like you say. And the Cories are pretty cool, so all in all I think that your idea of stocking is good. If you're looking for another blue/purplish fish then you could look at getting a Betta instead of the Dwarf Gourami, think they should be ok with the rest of the fish.

Looks like a good stocking list to start with!
Might I suggest getting a pair of honey gouramies instead of one dwarf and one honey?
I used to own a pair of honeys (although some people have a hard time finding females, since they aren't very pretty), who got along perfectly in a 20 gal and bred several times (you would need a bushy plant that touched the surface for that to work :) ). I didn't manage to raise any of the fry, but I'm sure it's possible.

Mixing varieties of gouramies is possible, but IMO it is more rewarding to own a pair who breed often then owning several different species.

Sounds like you're off to a good start....another suggestion for a blueish fish instead of the gouramis would be a small school of dwarf neon rainbowfish (Praecox rainbows). They are a little more pricey and not as common, but very pretty fish once they settle in and are very active and peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom