Stocking a 60 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjmfish1013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope I put it in the right location. I am currently setting up and cycling my new 60 gallon aquarium (48x12x24) and need some advice on stocking ideas. I currently only have one pictus catfish that will be moved into it so I feel I can take this in multiple directions.
I had some ideas for possible stocks but have heard conflicting opinions on some species. I will put some stocking ideas below and please give me your input.

Idea 1:
1 Pictus
5 giant danios
6 black skirt tetras
3 platys (to brighten it up)

Idea 2:
1 Pictus
4-5 silver dollars (some said it is okay, some said tank is too small)
1 Ctenopoma (A personal favorite)
1 African butterflyfish (if it wouldn't get nipped by silver dollars)

Idea 3:
1 Pictus
5 Giant danios
1 Firemouth cichlid (I heard they were peaceful)

Idea 4:
1 Pictus
6 giant danios
10 tiger barbs

Those were just a few ideas I had, feel free to give opinions and make changes. Thank you

Be careful with pictus catfish because once they get big enough they may eat smaller fish. Also silver dollar can get quite big, I’m not sure how big but they will probably out grow that tank eventually. Also be careful with silver dollars as they enjoy eating freshwater plants. I know African butterflyfish are quite prone to having their fins nipped, but I’m not sure if silver dollar will or not.

IME tiger barbs will terrorize other fish. I had to return an entire school years ago because they are such little devils. I think they need way more than 10 in a group to leave tank mates alone. I´m sure others may have had different experiences, but there´s my .02

We have a 37 gallon community tank. We have 5 longfin zebra danio that were our first fish. Not my favorite, way to zippy, not relaxing to watch. I love our panda cory cats, sunset platys(candy corn variety) and our green lantern platys(they are actually blue). Our platys are all male as I do not want to raise babies. My kids would want to save any fry and then I would have to figure out what to do with them. I like option 1 the best off your list. I like tetras but no more room in our tank.

I agree, danios aren’t the most relaxing fish to watch. Black skirts can be nippy as well. Most tetras, in general, are bossy little fish. Have you considered a couple of angels along with a couple of peaceful groups? Lots to choose from.

I agree, danios aren’t the most relaxing fish to watch. Black skirts can be nippy as well. Most tetras, in general, are bossy little fish. Have you considered a couple of angels along with a couple of peaceful groups? Lots to choose from.

I have considered angelfish, however I have heard they can become quite aggressive when they pair off. Also I heard that pictus and angels don't go well together because of the pictus swimming around at night, but I suppose in a big tank they'd be fine.
What schools would you suggest I complement the angles with?

I would say for a 60 gal, 4 pictus (they like to be in groups and a 60 can handle it) 8-10 Odessa Barbs (a personal fav because of their color and they can't be eaten by the pictus) and 3-4 convict Cichlids. This would give a full look to the tank and if you wanted too you could add like zebra danios as a small fish. Non of these fish are inherently that aggressive, they like cooler waters (73-74 Degrees) and they all like a good current instead of slower waters. Just a thought anyways and I think it'd like good together :)

I would say for a 60 gal, 4 pictus (they like to be in groups and a 60 can handle it) 8-10 Odessa Barbs (a personal fav because of their color and they can't be eaten by the pictus) and 3-4 convict Cichlids. This would give a full look to the tank and if you wanted too you could add like zebra danios as a small fish. Non of these fish are inherently that aggressive, they like cooler waters (73-74 Degrees) and they all like a good current instead of slower waters. Just a thought anyways and I think it'd like good together :)

I like this idea but don’t convicts pair off and produce lots of babies? Or would the pictus and barbs take care of this problem?

And also do you think if I added new juvenile pictus with the one adult that I have already they’d be okay together?

Thank you for your advice, it’s much appreciated. I apologize for my many questions.

Well if you did all males or all females itd be ok, not sure the pictus and Barbs would eat the babies because I believe the parents would protect them. I've heard all males would be less aggressive but I'm not sure as I've never kept them. Not sure aggression would be much of a problem in the tank though with Barbs/pictus being semi aggressive already. The females also develop a red/orange patch which could add some color. And yeah it'd be fine to add juvenile pictus in with the adult! And lol it's ok ask as many questions as you want!

Well if you did all males or all females itd be ok, not sure the pictus and Barbs would eat the babies because I believe the parents would protect them. I've heard all males would be less aggressive but I'm not sure as I've never kept them. Not sure aggression would be much of a problem in the tank though with Barbs/pictus being semi aggressive already. The females also develop a red/orange patch which could add some color. And yeah it'd be fine to add juvenile pictus in with the adult! And lol it's ok ask as many questions as you want!

Oh great I'm happy I can give my pictus some friends. And I'll definitely do some more research on the convicts. You mentioned I could add other fish such as zebra danios, however I have had zebras be eaten by the pictus in the past. Are there any other fish, larger or less streamlined, that I could add that wouldn't be eaten?

I'd say maybe black phantom, red eye tetras, or Buenos Aires tetras. I think they'd all look good in there and are lower temperature. And that's funny lol I had a pictus in a 10 gallon with zebra danios before and he never ate any. (This was before I realized he needed a way bigger tank ?)

I'd say maybe black phantom, red eye tetras, or Buenos Aires tetras. I think they'd all look good in there and are lower temperature. And that's funny lol I had a pictus in a 10 gallon with zebra danios before and he never ate any. (This was before I realized he needed a way bigger tank ?)

Haha I also had the pictus in a 10 gallon when I first got him before transferring him to a 30. I had him with 5 zebra danios in the 30 and they were fine for a couple weeks until he decided to eat two of them overnight. Had to relocate the remaining danios.
But I do like the look of those species, especially the Buenos Aires. I'd be nervous about the black phantom just because their longish fins could be nipped by barbs.

Dang ? Yeah the Aires ones are definitely my favorite out of those anyways and yeah the long fins could be a problem, normally as long as the schooling fish are in a school together they only nip at each other but better safe then sorry

Dang ? Yeah the Aires ones are definitely my favorite out of those anyways and yeah the long fins could be a problem, normally as long as the schooling fish are in a school together they only nip at each other but better safe then sorry

I think I will finish up with the cycling and do a little more research and then get some fish! Thanks to you and everyone else on here for the input.

Back
Top Bottom