Stocking a new 66g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atucker681

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm looking to stock but for the life of me I can't figure out how many I should get. I have a 66 gallon 36"x28"x20" tank my daughter wants to stock it with neons but I've moved her over to cardinals just for the extra size. It's currently only got a little drift wood in and soon to get pretty heavily planted. I'm looking for between 30-50 cardinals but not sure how over stocked that would be if at all. Could anyone enlighten me on this matter if possible thank you

I think between 20-25 is probably a more reasonable number for that size tank. More than that, and you not only run the risk of being overstocked, but it may seem too busy for the eyes.

I entered those dimensions into aqadvisor and it turns out that your tank is 87 gallons not 66. Therefore the 50 would be just fine and you could probably do more, but maybe you would want to put in another fish as center piece though?

That's what we are thinking I have my angel fish tank and currently a massive angel and guppy breeding project, but my daughter wanted a tank so I moved fish about to empty one. Sorry EOGoldfish I'm from England I think I was using imperial gallons not US gallons. We were planning on getting some grape vine wood to look like roots and adding plenty of plants to give the fish hiding places ect. She's set on a massive shoal so I think we're going to get the cardinals and possibly add maybe a dwarf gourami or 2 mixed into it

Back
Top Bottom