Stocking a Planted 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blaqkcatfish17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I am going to rebuild my tank up and want to do a live planted tank with corydoras catfish, female bettas, and otocinclus.
Background info on my tank:
29 gallon
has a 30-55 gallon external whisper power filter

So my questions are
#1. Should I do a large school of the same species of cories or can I do 2 smaller shoals of 2 different species of cories (which would make them happier?)
#2. What specie(s) of cories do you recommend?
#3. How many of each fish could I have in my tank?
(I was thinking around 3 otos, 5 female bettas, and either 8 small cories [2" each] or 5-6 emerald cories)

Thanks!!! =D

I like to have only one type of cory in the tank.
Some female bettas don't get along so you might want to have a back up plan if it doesn't.

I've had both the peppered cories and albino cories and loved them both and I had two small shoals of each (4 each). Cories are the most peaceful fish, so you can't go wrong with any of them, IMO :) I have also had female bettas in a 29g tank. They had been in a small tank together and didn't get along at all, but when I put them in the 29g everything was fine for the most part. When the dominant one would pick on the more submissive one, the submissive one always had plenty of room to get away from her.

I have 2 albino, 1 peppered, 1 emerald green, and 1 spotted w/ stripes corys in my tank and they all play together. :)

You can either have a single species shoal of Corys or a mixed shoal. Both have worked for me. Personally I love the look of a large shoal of a single species. I love Peppered and Panda Corys.

I would do 3-4 Ottos, 6 Peppered or Panda Corys and 5 Female Bettas.

Back
Top Bottom