Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I've recently started stocking my 70g and I'm still not too sure how many fish I can have.

My tank is heavily planted with an organic potting soil bottom, then gravel, then play sand with mopani wood and slate decorations. I have a canister filter that runs 400g/hour and 4x 10000k t5HO 39w lights (I'm only running two).

The fish I started with are:
4 head and tail light tetras
1 red tail shark
And I've just added 4 more tetras and a male guppy (he was getting picked on in my other tank)

I'm planning on adding:
2 bristlenose catfish
2 male dwarf gouramis
1 male OR female betta
6 peppered cories

Would you consider this stocked? Or do I have room for one more larger fish or a small school of something?

Oh and I'm hopefully only doing one 20-30% PWC a week. (of course more if needed :) )

I would like to think I could get an angel fish but I'm highly doubting there would be enough room.

Sounds like you might be able to add a few more fish in there but I wouldn't recommend an angel because I think they are happier in pairs of groups and they get pretty big I would just make the schools you have larger they will be happier that way than if you have smaller schools of multiple species. I wouldnt add the betta in there though if it were me. It will definitely go after the male guppy and probably the gourami. Even the females get really aggressive towards other long finned and colorful fish. Some bettas are more mellow but mine has his own tank because he tortured every fish I put him with he even attacks his plants lol

You actually have plenty of room IMO.

As for the betta and gourami, most people don't reccomend it but IME bettas and gouramis get along fine. My betta and gourami practically ignore each other, on the occasion they see face to face all they do is swim in a circle and their done.

Angels can be kept solitary. Lots of people do that. Usually it's because they don't want a pair and taking care of babies, probably because they just want a nice centerpiece fish, and a little bit more than often it's because pairs are highly territorial and will try to chase other fish away from its breeding site.

How about some schooling fish? Another school would look nice in there IMO. Are there any more tetras that you like? Or maybe some danios?

I was thinking of maybe some more tetras but the ones I have don't school. I'm guessing it's because there is nothing bigger than them at the moment.

If everyone thinks I've got room for an angel I'll probably get one of those. I just love the black ones. They are so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom