Stocking advice for 130L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merlin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I've been stalking the forum and doing some research on which fish to stock my tank with, but need some advice.

The tank is currently cycling and on advice from where I bought the tank it is cycling with 6 neon tetras in it. I'm keeping a very close eye on ammonia and nitrate levels in the water as I don't want my families new fish friends to suffer.

That said here are my thoughts on my stock list so far...

6 Male Guppies
8 Neon Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Panda Corys
And maybe 1 oto down the track once there is some algae for him to eat.

I've been using the 1inch per gallon rule and I'm at around 32 inches in a 34.3 gallon tank.

I was hoping that you guys with a bit more experience may be able to tell me if I'm on the right path or what you might do differently.

Thanks in advance

Merlin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Merlin,
The old rule of 1" of fish per gallon is way outdated. It takes into no account of how stocky or deep bodied a fish is or how messy a species can be. AqAdvisor website is a good way to work out stocking levels. It's not perfect but a good indicator.
As for your choices, I would either head towards the softer water Tetras or the harder water Livebearers. I personally don't mix them and as I have very soft water then I go with that and keep tetras and dwarf corys. I find it's easier to go with your water source hardness rather than fight it.
Never had an Otto so can't comment, but I do have corys and they really like company, 6 minimum is my best bet. I have about 18 and they play all the time.
Good luck with your tank and remember these are only the thoughts of a well meaning fish keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom