Stocking help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have a 20 gallon tall that is currently :fish1:less cycling. I think that it will finish cycling soon. I am wondering what stock you would recommend. I want 1 centerpiece fish, I am thinking either a ram of some type or a dwarf gourami, but other suggestions are welcome. I also want 2 schools with it. I am not very interested in inverts, but I am open to suggestions on that as well. I like rummynose tetras in particular, but I am open to anything that sounds good. I don't really want cories though. I have a tetra whisper 30 filter.

Might want to add:
My ph of my tap water is about 8 :(
Too high for a ram I think :(
Is that true?

You could do 6-8 rummynose and 6-8 of another schooling fish; neon tetras come to mind but there are many other types that would do fine in a 20 gal. You could visit some local fish stores and see what you like, then research them (or/and ask here). A single Bolivian should do fine, they're a bit more hardy than German Blues. Also, the PH out of your tap is 8 but it might change once it gasses off; you can try leaving out a glass of tap water for 24 hours (stir it ocassionally) and then test PH again. This is your "true" PH and what your tank's PH should be.

The water in my tank right now is 8, so wouldn't it have already gassed off? And I thought that all rams preferred ph was below 7. Like I said, I do like rummy nose, but does anyone recommend anything else? I don't like neons because they seem to be weak and sensitive to parameters. I have been looking into:
Platys
Serpae Tetra
Cherry Barbs (which, by the way, does anyone recommend any other barbs?)
Harlequin Rasbora

Back
Top Bottom