Stocking levels and quarantine tank Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pylor

Aquarium Advice Regular
Before I dive back into the hobby after being out of the loop for 6 or 7 years, I wanted to just see if my current thoughts are ok in terms of stocking and quarantine tanks.

My main equipment will be what I had 7 years ago unless something doesn't work:
Tank: 29 gallon, I believe it was made by tetra
Filter(s): Marineland Emperor 280 + Tetra (or top fin equivalent) whisper power filter 30 + a small sponge filter (more details later)

Basically the kit I got circa 2002/3 came with a Tetra 30 and I had bought a marineland emperor 280 because I didn't think the tetra filter was good enough. If either of them don't work I'll likely replace it with a fluval C4 or equivalent. The sponge filter is to transfer to my quarantine tank whenever it has guests to keep it cycled. Now:

Question 1: This is what I plan to put in the tank, or atleast general numbers. The numbers seem large to me for what I want but I've kept all of these fish except the endler's (I've bred guppies though, which is basically sticking them in the same tank) and they're all pretty small:

AquStockImage.php

Will that tank with those filters be overstocked at the end? I plan on doing a fish-in cycle using the endlers as they're small and hearty, with twice daily checks of levels to make sure everything is ok. I may drop a neon and get another zebra danio as I'm going to have to special order those since all my LFS have turned into almost marine-only so they don't have to compete with the big chains in town.

Question 2: I plan on getting the endler's first, then adding the zebra danios and corys from being bought online. I know it'll be way over the limit of continuous use, but can I use the eclipse 6 I have as a temporary quarantine tank for 2 weeks with 5 zebras and 4 corys? They'll all be juvenile size, at most half the length of fully grown. I have to get them online and it's 35 dollars to ship so I'd rather only have to ship once if possible. The rest of the fish will likely be able to be found locally and I don't think I'd have a problem with them in a well filtered 6 gallon for 2 weeks.

Note that I kept 6 fully grown zebras in that 6 gallon when I was younger for probably a year without issues (looking back it was definitely too small room-wise) and actually ended up breeding them in there. I eventually quit keeping aquariums after a 10 gallon fry tank broke the bottom glass, combined with the fact that I just couldn't get my main community tank disease-free I gave up. I used to add fish directly to the community tank, and I always thought of the water in the bags as free conditioned water to help fill my tank back up. Looking back it makes me cringe.

Back
Top Bottom