Substrate Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm about a week or two out from revamping my 10g into a planted tank and I'm all sorts of hung up on a substrate. I'm a little tight on cash so I want to just get this right the first time.

Right now I have the standard aquarium gravel. I find its too large for my clown pleco and adf so I'd like to change to a size closer to sand. I just want to buy one 20lb bag of some type of sand and call it good. I've gotten stuck on what to do.

Because I want plants, I'm told I should get Eco complete or similar, but then its suggested to get something to cap it and at this point were talking $35+ for substrate. I would rather keep it to $20 or less.

What are the options for around that price and type for a single bag to use as substrate? Also, do you prefer the black sand look or tan?

Thanks for the input!

For a planted tank I used cat litter/oil dry and topped it with medium sand from lowes. The litter was $2.00 for 20lbs and the sand was $3.00 for 60lbs. I have read on other sites that the litter which 100% clay absorbs the nutrients from the water for the plants. The litter takes alot of rinsing but it is black and gray colored.

I'm shooting for the black substrate look so just using Eco complete would be great. Two questions about it:

Ive never understood its size, is it closer to a sand or gravel?

Down the line when the Eco has its nutrients depleted, can I just rinse it out, reuse it, and then toss in some sort of supplement to reseed it with nutrients?

eco complete does not have a lot of available nutrients in it. it's main draw is that it can easily soak up nutrients from the water column, getting the ferts into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom