Substrate question (for plants and cory catfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny.Lebedeiv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am currently setting up a 29 gallon fish tank and I have been debating on my substrate. Currently I just want to fill up the tank and let it cycle with the filter and heater on for like 2-3 weeks before adding any fish.

The question: I got 2 substrates and a picture below. Are these ok for the cory catfish? Because my idea is to make the lower layer Controsoil and a small layer with the gravel. I see a lot of people mentioning using a sand layer instead with cry catfish and for some reason using a more gravel substrate makes me worry for scratches maybe? I don't know. Tell me what you think and if the layering with these is ok to use. If not ill just use the controsoil.

IMG_20210501_160540.jpg

Well, I know sand is better for them, as they like rooting around looking for foods.

Barbel erosion, something commented about often, is usually from poor water conditions. I had all my Cories on Eco complete substrate for a long time, about 6-7 years. (some were in another tank with shrimp substrate, and another with sand.)

They perhaps didn't have the ideal conditions, this week I moved homes and changed their substrate to 3/4 sand.

They seem happy, they seemed happy before as well, regularly spawning. No barbel erosion. This sandy substrate will be better for them though and they can be even happier.

The Controsoil is smooth little balls right?

Is the gravel is it sort of smooth?

Last edited:
I just recently changed my cory's aquarium to half sand. One half is small, smooth gravel, which is where my plants are, the other is CaribSea Super Naturals Torpedo Beach sand. (Rinsed a bazillion times, and then rinsed again) My corys LOVE it! They were a little wary at fist, but when I turned down the lights for their evening feeding, they started happily digging through the sand. I like it too, as I can see where I've placed their food, and cleaning is much easier. I see them out on their sand bed a lot more often now. I really think they prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom