Tank Cycled . . . and then ICH!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TC_Beats

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Frustration! :bad-words:
10g FINALLY cycled a couple weeks ago after about 8 weeks or so of being patient. I come home on Friday night and (2) of my flame tetra's have some very small white spots, an hour later one of the neons, then another hour and two more flame's have them. I rush to the store on Saturday morning and get some Tetra "Ick Guard". Seems to be working after (3) doses.

Question: should I change out my Aqueon QuitFlow10 pump filter (w/ carbon) after this clears up? LFS guy said that the ich could reside in the filter media and I should probably swap it out after I'm done treating.

I know that a lot of the good bacteria resides in the filter, so I'm hesitant to change it out.

Thanks.

No dont worry about that
but do a water change and clean it out in there
To get rid of ich what i did was raise the temperture to 28*C (Im Aussie sorry) And i put a tiny bit of salt in there. I have kept the temp at 28 now and i have not seen ich since

Bad news! I assume that your test results are all clear since your tank is cycled?

As said, whack the temperature up and give a dose of salt - 1 teaspoon per litre is the usual I've found. Up your water changes, maybe 50% every couple of days; remembering to put back the salt you've taken out in your changes. Keep it up for a week or so after symptoms disappear and then stop salting but keep up the water changes for another couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom