Temp of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaTree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:fish2:Do certain fish require a different temperature than others for a freshwater tank? and if so will a colder temp make fish more inactive? My fish are 2 Mollys, 3 angels and 2platys!

Most tropical fish do fine at temps between 76-78 fahrenheit. Goldfish are coldwater fish so they need cooler temps, for example, and certain fish like Bettas prefer it warmer, about 80. I think your fish would be fine with the general temp for tropicals as mentioned above; if you kept your tank at 77-78 I think they all would be happy. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

This sounds like one of those do I really have to buy a heater questions, the short answer is yes. If you don't have one I would recommend getting one, it's always best to try to match the natural environment of your fish and keep it as consistent as possible. Good luck.

librarygirl is about right (im celius) 26c is about the best temp for alot of tropical but altough angels do like about 28-30 for breeding

Thank you Librarygirl that helps a lot! and Redflame i do have a heater it works pretty well, but it concerns me because the temperature fluctuates from roughly 72F - 78F but it could be because its the middle of winter i try to keep it warm in the house though, my fish go from active to very inactive every so often! could this be a health issues or just because of the temp changes? or maybe water quality?

JoshuaTree said:
Thank you Librarygirl that helps a lot! and Redflame i do have a heater it works pretty well, but it concerns me because the temperature fluctuates from roughly 72F - 78F but it could be because its the middle of winter i try to keep it warm in the house though, my fish go from active to very inactive every so often! could this be a health issues or just because of the temp changes? or maybe water quality?

You need a new heater! It should not being fluctuating. It should stay steady at one temp. The only time I have ever had my heater bit stay steady was in the summer time. The room temperature got to high and was above the set thermostat in the heater... The water raised to 82f and it was set for 78f now the tanks go down stairs because it colder in the summer time.

Thanks HobGob your probably right, im heading over to PetSmart today to check out a few things!! a heater will be 1st on my list!! Thanks!

I was freaking out at first. I thought the heater was broken and just raising up for no reason. So I sat for the longest time waiting for the pilot light to come on and it never did. So then I thought it was just broke. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the light turned on. Waste of my time but it have me piece of mind so ya.

Back
Top Bottom