Terrible rookie mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was planning the set up for my new 55g, I started researching filters, as one would do. But clearly, I was not thinking tridimensionally. I just got the HOB filter that I thought was the best. I ordered two aqua clear 70 filters. So far so good. Until this morning, when I woke up from a dream where I was setting my fish tank up.

In the dream, I realized that the HOB filter is too darn large, and will require me to move the stand/tank way forward off the wall. That realization jolted me right out of bed, which was good - I was starting to sleep way past the time I was supposed to get up anyway.

I cannot bring the stand that far forward, because that will make the passageway to narrow, and I will have to climb over the couch, or over the tank, to get to the kitchen. I am exaggerating just a bit. But you get the idea. With two little kids running around, I cannot afford to have that narrow of a passageway.

So I frantically started looking for canister filters. I had not been researching those, because honestly, I was just scared of them. They just look too intimidating to me. But I suppose they would have a much narrower profile then the HOB filter. I am assuming just the tubing stays between the tank and the wall.

From what I understand, Fluval is supposedly the best brand out there. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Anyway. They are pricey! It seems that for my 55g, the 406 would probably be the best one out of the most affordable ones in the fluval line. Any other suggestions? I was hoping to stay within the $100 range, no more than $130.

And now I need to see how I can return the 2 HOB filters I got from Petco online.

Take em to a petco, you will have no issues.

For canister you may want to look at Fluval, Eheim, Cascade and SunSun. All are reputable.

Actually with Petcos special you can get a 1000 Cascade for like $83. But I would do two smaller ones. And remember Petco will match Petco Online and Fosters and Smith in store.

Ok. So I see that SunSun Hw 302 has good reviews, and a good price on Amazon. It seems to have the shut off valve switch, and 3 stage filtration. You have to buy the media separately tho.

Should I get 2 of those then? I felt that 260gph didn't seem enough....

But I should first ask, is this a good filter?

I'm not familiar with many canister filters, but I can say that I have nothing but praise for the Penn Plax Cascade line. I have the 65-gallon model (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJ9G...59202&sr=sr-1&keywords=penn+plax+cascade&th=1) in my 55 gallon tank, and have no issues so far with mechanical or biological filtration (not that my bio load is particularly high, but I think it could handle a well-stocked 55g). There's a lot of capacity in these things, so even if you want to keep the carbon you could take out a floss pad to make room for a coral sock or your media of choice.

That said, it's not the cheapest canister around - but I believe it's only 186 GPH, so the 260gph on the SunSun would probably make it equally effective considering the smaller media chamber. As for two filters - I suggest starting with one and seeing how it performs. If you need to add another, you can always put one of the floss cartridges from the first filter into the new one - doing so should result in it having a fairly complete BB colony within a day or two.

I have a Sunsun 302 on my 29g. It's filtering but the flow wasn't good enough for my tastes so I added a circulation pump to help move stuff to the intake. I think they make a bigger model. Good news is that it's been running like a champ since I got it 6 months ago. Don't waste your money on their media. Invest in media you trust. Good old trusty homemade cheap sponges and some good biological medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So far I have used fluval 205, ehiem 2217 and JBL 1501e

For aesthetics and easy of use the fluval tops the bill but for quietness and performance it would have to be the ehiem

Having said that the JBL fit the bill perfectly for my tank as the flow rate, price, easy of maintenance and aesthetics is straight down the middle between the other two filters and fit perfectly in my cabinet. Absolutely love the 1501e.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am very scared of canisters. Leave it up to me, and I will flood the family room during an unsuccessful canister cleaning endeavor.

So I moved the stand 4 inches forward, to make room for the hanging part of the Aquaclear. Is this too big of a hole behind the tank?

IMG_1814.jpg

Yes, I have watched a ton of videos. But I've also read stories of people who flooded their rooms because the valve broke/malfunctioned, and 50 gallon of water came rushing down the floor.....

I much prefer the look of the canister, but I'm really scared of the possibility of flooding the room.

Back
Top Bottom