Thoughts on fish for 29g....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm having fun on this one....planning the fish for my 29g. Here are my thoughts so far (thanks to suggestions from others)....
The only thing is, I am not sure if I can find all of these locally, but anyway...here goes:
black phantom tetras (possibly 4) as they only get to about 1.75"
cherry barbs (possibly 4) as they get to be 2"
any of the dwarf otos...but on planetcatfish.com they recommend keeping them in groups of six....could I have only three and them be happy??
And, finally, I would like to move my two female bettas over to the 29g and have their tanks available as QT or hospital tanks...
Anyway.....thoughts people on this group of fishies. As always, I love the feedback! Keep in mind I am superb on my weekly maintenance so if these numbers are pushing the limits just a tad, that's okay, but if it's pushing it a lot, let me know! :)

You could bump the number of black phantoms up to 6, as well as the barbs, they do better in schools of 6+ and your tank can handle it. I would also do about 6-9 ottos as they do a LOT better in schools, and they are small. The depending on the temperment of the Fbettas that should be a pretty good stock.

black phantom tetras are very cool. I was checking those out the other day and thought about putting them in my tank if I can't find gold barbs.

You could probably go with 6 of each and be fine, including adding your bettas.

most people say 1 oto per 10G but some have 2 in there 10G tank so I think 4 would be OK. I would wait to put the oto's in till you have some algae and such in the tank so maybe after a couple months. Also I would put the Female betas in last after the oto's and hopefully they will be OK

Thanks blazeyreef and sum22. I am thrilled to know I can bump those numbers up! Woohoo!
Only one of my female bettas I am worried about. I have a white one and a blue one and when I first got them I had them together in a 2.5g tank and the white one was really harrassing the blue one, to the point I had to separate them. But, I'm thinking in such a bigger tank that would probably not be an issue and I plan on planting heavily, so that should help also!
Again, thanks for your input! :)

most people say 1 oto per 10G but some have 2 in there 10G tank so I think 4 would be OK. I would wait to put the oto's in till you have some algae and such in the tank so maybe after a couple months. Also I would put the Female betas in last after the oto's and hopefully they will be OK

Yeah, I was def. gonna wait on putting the otos in until the last (now will wait and put the bettas in last)....we're talking months down the road here. I will have to plant and let the plants get established first and then add one school of fish and then QT the next set, and so on. eeeekk, ya know I just thought about it....how big a tank should I QT that big of a school in (say 4-6 fish)...I might not have anything big enough, especially since the female bettas will be in their tanks until the end. oh..the worries....

If you get some ottos what I do is take some extra stones and put them in water in front of a window and let the algae grow on them. Then I switch out rocks from the tank with the algae ones. Gives them something to nibble on all the time since they need algae to survive. Just an idea.

If you get some ottos what I do is take some extra stones and put them in water in front of a window and let the algae grow on them. Then I switch out rocks from the tank with the algae ones. Gives them something to nibble on all the time since they need algae to survive. Just an idea.
That is a great idea, Amy. I am now torn on what bottom feeders I want to get. I have been looking into many of the different smaller plecos too. I especially like the chocolate zebra pleco, the bulldog pleco, and red fin dwarf pleco. I have no idea if I can get any of those locally though. I am just trying to research the fish before I get my plants in.
I finally went with a plant package listed on aquabid by bayleesfishees. I am getting a package of 18 plants (plus an extra thrown in) for $50.00 inlcuding shipping. He has impeccable feedback, so I look forward to seeing my plant package. I have ordered a new light for my tank that will bump it up to 6500 K and I also ordered some root tabs. Once I get my plants in and established for a few weeks, I am going to do a silent cycle (suggested by Joy (purrbox)) and then start adding one school of fish at a time. This hobby is definitely an exercise in patience, but that is one of the lessons I am convinced I am here to learn, so learn I do....

I really do like my corys they are a shoal of bottom feeders and so much fun to watch. I have some emerald ones, but I can't seem to find any panda ones. :/ You can find corys at most LFS.

That is a great idea, Amy. I am now torn on what bottom feeders I want to get. I have been looking into many of the different smaller plecos too. I especially like the chocolate zebra pleco, the bulldog pleco, and red fin dwarf pleco. I have no idea if I can get any of those locally though. I am just trying to research the fish before I get my plants in.
I finally went with a plant package listed on aquabid by bayleesfishees. I am getting a package of 18 plants (plus an extra thrown in) for $50.00 inlcuding shipping. He has impeccable feedback, so I look forward to seeing my plant package. I have ordered a new light for my tank that will bump it up to 6500 K and I also ordered some root tabs. Once I get my plants in and established for a few weeks, I am going to do a silent cycle (suggested by Joy (purrbox)) and then start adding one school of fish at a time. This hobby is definitely an exercise in patience, but that is one of the lessons I am convinced I am here to learn, so learn I do....

I'd go with about 6-8 ottos if you are going to have that many plants. That amount of plants will need many mouths to help keep the algae off of them and more smaller mouthed ottos would be more efficient than 3 larger mouthed plecos, which can easily uproot the plants. I'd suggest 6-8 ottos and a BN pleco (to keep the glass clean).

Also, the 6500K is just the temperature of the bulb. You really need to be concerned with the total watts per gallon which is the "general rule" Depending on what style of bulb/fixture you decide to go with (CF, T5, T8, etc) you can convert the bulb's watts and relate it to a normal output (NO) bulb on which the "standard watts per gallon rule" was based. I think it was a T10 or T12 bulb on which the "scale" is based. This "scale" tells someone how many watts per gallon you'd need over a tank with a T10/T12 bulb to have low lighting/medium lighting/high lighting, etc and this will give you a better idea of what types of plants your light will be able to grow. That 6500K bulb that you are planning on having may be 15W and fit into the "stock lighting fixture". If that's the case then you really wasted money IMO as you won't be able to grow that many plants. I've tried those bulbs and they do not work. That was before I realized that I needed a more intense bulb.

I'd go with about 6-8 ottos if you are going to have that many plants. That amount of plants will need many mouths to help keep the algae off of them and more smaller mouthed ottos would be more efficient than 3 larger mouthed plecos, which can easily uproot the plants. I'd suggest 6-8 ottos and a BN pleco (to keep the glass clean).

Also, the 6500K is just the temperature of the bulb. You really need to be concerned with the total watts per gallon which is the "general rule" Depending on what style of bulb/fixture you decide to go with (CF, T5, T8, etc) you can convert the bulb's watts and relate it to a normal output (NO) bulb on which the "standard watts per gallon rule" was based. I think it was a T10 or T12 bulb on which the "scale" is based. This "scale" tells someone how many watts per gallon you'd need over a tank with a T10/T12 bulb to have low lighting/medium lighting/high lighting, etc and this will give you a better idea of what types of plants your light will be able to grow. That 6500K bulb that you are planning on having may be 15W and fit into the "stock lighting fixture". If that's the case then you really wasted money IMO as you won't be able to grow that many plants. I've tried those bulbs and they do not work. That was before I realized that I needed a more intense bulb.

Oh no...I got the T8 bulb. Will that not be enough? What more "intense" bulb do you use? I will definitely need to get one ordered so my new plants don't die on me.....You can so tell that I am a newbie to all of this. I thought it was the K rating that was the most important....urgghh. Which of the ottos would you suggest and what is a BN pleco (bristlenose?)

Oh no...I got the T8 bulb. Will that not be enough? What more "intense" bulb do you use? I will definitely need to get one ordered so my new plants don't die on me.....You can so tell that I am a newbie to all of this. I thought it was the K rating that was the most important....urgghh. Which of the ottos would you suggest and what is a BN pleco (bristlenose?)

How many watts is the T8 bulb? Can you send a link to the exact bulb that you have? I'm guessing that it's just one of those 15W deals and if that is the case it's most likely nowhere near sufficient. I've used them and they just don't work.

I'd suggest getting regular ottos. A BN pleco is more of a "common name" for a bushynose pleco. There is more than one species of BN pleco and that's why I specified that it should be an ancistrus as they get about 4.5 inches long max but more commonly 3.5-4 inches. Check www.aquabid.com and you will see that there are many varieties including regular finned brown, long finned brown, regular finned albino, long finned albino, calico, etc. Try to pick one up at the LFS as it should be cheaper than buying just one on aquabid. Plus, you can see exactly what you are getting.

Unfortunately you can't just buy a stronger bulb for an existing fixture. If the light isn't sufficient for your plans, then you would need to upgrade the fixture. An additional fixture, replacing the fixture, or even ODNO.

How many watts is the T8 bulb? Can you send a link to the exact bulb that you have? I'm guessing that it's just one of those 15W deals and if that is the case it's most likely nowhere near sufficient. I've used them and they just don't work.
Here's a link
Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Fluorescent Bulbs
I am pretty sure not the right kind now...I am bummed. I don't want to have to replace the hood right now as I thought I was getting a good deal money wise on this tank and I hate that I filled it with water and it is running and I have already ordered plants for it.....I am not sure what to do now. I also don't build anything electric...have NO IDEA how to begin that...:confused:

Unfortunately you can't just buy a stronger bulb for an existing fixture. If the light isn't sufficient for your plans, then you would need to upgrade the fixture. An additional fixture, replacing the fixture, or even ODNO.

Joy, forgive me, but what is ODNO.....do they make fixtures relatively inexpensive that would fit on this hood? I am very frustrated right now...:confused:

ODNO is overdirven normal output

basically you send more watts through your current bulb by buying a new ballast and rewiring the hood

Honestly if you not the diy type or dont have a friend that will help you then buying a new hood is prob a good idea or sticking to low light plants.

There is a 65w fixture for a 30" tank from some vendor that would be good(oh here).http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+11418&pcatid=11418

That bulb definitely won't work for your plants. You are going to need a new fixture if you want to have live plants in your tank. A new 30" fixture will most likely run you $50 +/- $15 for what you need.

ODNO is "over-driving" normal output T12 bulbs. You basically run a ballast that is setup for,say 4 bulbs on only 2 bulbs with the same wattage requried to run 4 bulbs. This makes the 2 bulbs much brighter but you may not feel comfortable doing this.

ODNO is overdirven normal output

basically you send more watts through your current bulb by buying a new balast and rewiring the hood
I don't know how to do that stuff.....do they sell hoods for aquariums that have the right kind of lights built in for plant growth? If so, where do you find them. I see the stuff in Drs. foster and smith but it looks just like the light fixture....no hood with it.
If you all had a 29 gallon tank that needed the right light for plants what would you get (send me links if necessary) and something I don't have to build myself, as I don't do that....I just got an email from the guy I got plants from on aquabid and they have already shipped....so I am hoping I'm not messed up already and won't have a light for them when they arrive. :(

That bulb definitely won't work for your plants. You are going to need a new fixture if you want to have live plants in your tank. A new 30" fixture will most likely run you $50 +/- $15 for what you need.
Bryan,
would you mind sending me some links to these "fixtures" you are talking about...I keep picturing the whole hood in my head, but fixtures sounds like just what I put the light bulb in...very confusing to me....

I linked to one from DR fosters above

Its a fixture, some come with legs so they sit above/on the rim/lip of the tank. Some people use glass covers for there tanks others leave them open. Personally I'm leary of leaving the top open, but many do it and have hanging lights like shoplights or good purchased fixtures.

Its a 29G tank, so its 30" long, thats what you need to look for as far as fixtures. Some are 40w and the other one is 65w, then there are some expensive ones that are high watts.
Its kinda Odd size but they have some that fit:
Heres some good online vendors
Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Single Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30
Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits
Catalina Aquarium Lighting

Back
Top Bottom