Too many filters??? Newbie needs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australia7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium has been set up for a while now and i finally got fish today, i just wanted to ask if having more than one filter is necessary. Example: I was watching the fish swim around today for about a minute or so, as soon as they stop to try and settle, the 'current' from the filter(s); pissibly the undergravel pulls them back and it looks like they are being dragged back. What should i do to try and stop this? Can this be stressful for the fish?

Thanks.

current

Too much current can be a problem for some types of fish. More information would help in advising you. What size is the tank, what fish do you have in it and what filter/s are running in it now? Oh, and what model of filters if you have that info.

And if no one has before now, Welcome To Aquarium Advice!!!!!! A wonderful place where the men are all good looking, the women are all strong, and the fish are all above average. My apologies to Garrison Keiler. :wink:

Thanks for the reply.
Fishtank: JEBO 70Ltr with in-built filter
There are currently 3 goldfish in the tank.
Undergravel Filter: Hagen ClearFlow

I hope the above information proves useful, if you need more info then please let me know.

Thanks. :)

Australia7 said:
Thanks for the reply.
Fishtank: JEBO 70Ltr with in-built filter
There are currently 3 goldfish in the tank.
Undergravel Filter: Hagen ClearFlow

I hope the above information proves useful, if you need more info then please let me know.

Thanks. :)
what kind of gold fish, if they are the "fancy" types with the big bellies and/or 4 back fines i can see them struggling agains the current...

that said, most people here will agree that undergravel filters are pretty much useless... so if you can remove it (and maybe return it for your money back) I would do so...

anyways WELCOME! we are here to help!!!

What kind of UGF you have? The usual airlift type don't have that much current to bother anyone (but those are of not much use, so you might just get rid of it). Now, if you have a reverse UGF with a power head, the flow maybe a problem ... If so, what gph powerhead you have, and are you actually hooking it up in rUGF configuration? <Having the powerhead running the wrong way might be the problem? >

Also, what is your other build in filter (an internal maybe?) Depending on how the 2 filters are set up, you might get some strong currents. Try rearranging the filter intake/outflow so they are at opposite end of the tank, and point any water jets along the back of the tank ... That should create a calmer area at the front of the tank where your fish can rest.

Depending on what golds (and how big they are), current might or might not be a problem. Generally all single tails will be fine with high current. Most of the double tails will do fine with moderate flow - with the exception of bubble eyes, lionheads, & others without dorsal fins. If fish is exibiting swimming difficulties, make sure they are not sick or have swim-bladder problems.

If the fish are very small, they might have problem with strong current. In that case, you can protect frys by fitting a filter sponge over the filter in/out ... or reducing the flow somehow - eg - adjusting uplift tube height in HOB, T's or reducers in canisters, etc. You can also put a big chunk of driftwood or rock work in the tank to break up the current & create some shawdows as well.

Back
Top Bottom