Too much current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamuraiGaidin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy y'all. I am curious; How can I increase my filtration rate without creating too much water current? My tank is not any where near ready for fish (still cycling and building) so it's a theoretical problem for now.

Nothing in reality makes sense except in the light of magic.

I don't really think you can. More filtration rate depends on how fast the filter pumps water out, so the higher the filtration rate, the stronger the current. What kind of fish do you plan to stock your tank with? I assuming fish that require a soft current. Some actually thrive in a stronger current too. If you want to soften the current but not the filtration rate, maybe you could put something over it to disperse the water so the current won't be jetting into the tank?

Angelfish, turquoise rainbow fish, snakeskin barbs, denison barbs. I have a 75 gallon tank with a HOB filter that filters 500 gph. I am just concerned it might be too fast for the Angelfish. Right now I have a betta in it just for GP, he will be removed when the other fish go in, but it seems like too much current for him.

Up to around 10x the tank volume in water flow per minute is pretty good for fish. The current is too much for bettas because they naturally live in nearly stagnant water. They aren't built for high flow. The rest of your fish will be fine though.

I seriously doubt you really need to add more filtration to the tank. If anything I would probably look at a small powerhead to help remove dead spots.

Up to around 10x the tank volume in water flow per minute is pretty good for fish. The current is too much for bettas because they naturally live in nearly stagnant water. They aren't built for high flow. The rest of your fish will be fine though.

I seriously doubt you really need to add more filtration to the tank. If anything I would probably look at a small powerhead to help remove dead spots.

This. I have 750gph on a 55 gallon tank. That's a hair over 13.5x turnover rate per hour. Works just fine, no problems with current. My 29g had a two dead spots, which were both corners on one side. Added a small power head reflecting on to the glass just before the first corner. Adds a small current to the whole tank, just enough to give a little motion to the plants in the tank.

Jesse

Mine is 6x's. I heard I can replace the carbon with more bio filter and it would be better.

I have two 700gph filters in a 60g tank but tests have shown fully loaded with media they drop to around 3-400gph each. Water movements varies around the tank but my tetras seem to like swimming against the current. I would think the water movement would be too great for flat bodied fish like angels and discus. Having the filter return via a spray bar just under the surface would defuse the jet enough for those fish liking calmer waters.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom