upgrading tank.. how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlieweaver21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i got a new tank for my 29 gallon its a 75 gallon. So my question what is the fastest way switch. It came with a under cabinet pump its rated for 1000 GPH. But i also have a marineland 400 on my 29 that i plan to use on my 75 too. So is it possible that with using my old filter and gravel and everything else in my new tank plus as much water from my 29 into my 75 that i can just do a quick switch and everything be fine. Maybe lets say put 25 gallon of the old water in the 25 add 25. And wait a week add last 25. Would kinda be like doing a 50% water change. Does it work like that?

I was wondering the same thing. I made a thread about it, but it never went through I guess. I'm trying to upgrade my 20 to a 55. I was going to do the exact same thing. I came across an article that said that I could, but I wanted to check here. I'll be watching this thread.

charlieweaver21 said:
So i got a new tank for my 29 gallon its a 75 gallon. So my question what is the fastest way switch. It came with a under cabinet pump its rated for 1000 GPH. But i also have a marineland 400 on my 29 that i plan to use on my 75 too. So is it possible that with using my old filter and gravel and everything else in my new tank plus as much water from my 29 into my 75 that i can just do a quick switch and everything be fine. Maybe lets say put 25 gallon of the old water in the 25 add 25. And wait a week add last 25. Would kinda be like doing a 50% water change. Does it work like that?

My understanding is that the used water really won't do much to help, the BB is all in the filter, substrate, decorations & plants; the things it can attach to. Are you using buckets or a water changer? If buckets the water is treated before you add it to the tank so it shouldn't harm your existing BB. If using a water changer I would probably do like you said initially, use old tank water, add the water conditioner then fill the rest of the tank. Just my thought.

So long as you are not increasing your stock right away then move everything over and all should be well.
Reusing the old water is for the fish not the bacteria. If you use all or most of the old water you shouldn't have to worry about reacclimatizing the fish to the new tank, as you said it would be like doing a large water change.
Try and keep everything (decor, plants, substrate, wood, filter media, etc) wet, if things dry out the bacteria on it will die.
I assume you will be cleaning your substrate a bit before moving it over? Make sure to use treated water for this.

You may experience a small toxin spike for a day or so. Just keep an eye on things and act appropriately and things will go well.

I would wait a week or two before adding any new stock just to be on the safe side.

So old water it not important so i read so i didn't move any water maybe 5 gallons with the filter and fish. Then i vacuumed old gravel then move it all to new tank making sure to keep it wet the whole time, plant, and everything else except filter. Filled new 75 all the way up and salt ph and slim coat. And some sechmans quick start in and let it run over night. Then put old filter from 30 on the 75 ans let it run for about 2 hours. Tested water was just fine. Then move all the fish into new tank. Now we will just wait and see. Ill keep yall updated. Ill test water everyday.

I don't want to take over his post, but my question is very similar to his. I am moving my fish from a 20 to a 55, and I am planning on doing the same thing as him. However, I won't be getting my 55 filter until tomorrow and it would be more convenient for me to move them today. Could I move them, and JUST use my 20-30 gallon filter for about 24 hours and then have them both running tomorrow? Or will the 30 gallon filter not be strong enough to use for a single day. I will be getting my filter for sure tomorrow. Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry to use you're post for my question Charlie, but it was just so similar I didn't think it'd make sense to make a whole new thread.

Nekkoriv said:
I don't want to take over his post, but my question is very similar to his. I am moving my fish from a 20 to a 55, and I am planning on doing the same thing as him. However, I won't be getting my 55 filter until tomorrow and it would be more convenient for me to move them today. Could I move them, and JUST use my 20-30 gallon filter for about 24 hours and then have them both running tomorrow? Or will the 30 gallon filter not be strong enough to use for a single day. I will be getting my filter for sure tomorrow. Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry to use you're post for my question Charlie, but it was just so similar I didn't think it'd make sense to make a whole new thread.

I see no problem for one day. Do not increase your fish load until the filter for the 55g is fully established though.

Alright i tested yesterday which was day one in the new tank. Water was good 0 ammo nitrite and nitrates. Then 2 days after water is just as it was in other tank. 0 ammo and nitrite and 10ppm nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom