Water Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcgdz86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought my first tank and have a question about the water cycle.

It's a 36g tank with an Aqueon quietflow 30 filter. I set it up, filled it, and let the filter run for a week without adding any fish. I did not add any bacteria or materials from a previous tank... As doing a fishless cycle as a beginner seemed very daunting.

After a week I added 2 mollys and a Betta. They've been in there about 9 days now. I have been monitoring the water levels every other day and I am concerned that I've never seen the ammonia or nitrite readings spike.

Today I purchased the API master test kit and both ammonia and nitrite readings were 0... With a nitrate reading of 10. Before I was using the API dip sticks... But I never saw the ammonia or nitrite levels go above .5.

I'm wanting to add more fish (just a few at a time) but I'm not sure if it's safe yet. If the ammonia and nitrite are reading 0 does that mean it has already cycled? Could it have possibly cycled with a high reading of .5? Can the cycle have a delayed start and still be coming?

Thanks for the help

Hello

What fish do you want? I actaully never test my water cuz in my country, they are very rare, not like others lol. But IMO its safe (not 100% sure)

Gilbert

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How often are you feeding?
What is your pH?
What is the Nitrate of your tap water?

Hello

What fish do you want? I actaully never test my water cuz in my country, they are very rare, not like others lol. But IMO its safe (not 100% sure)

Gilbert

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree the nitrate readings could be from the tap and the cycle hasn't started yet.

Could also be if you got anything from the old tank in there then it has already grown.

My best practice when setting up a new tank is to take a small peice of the filter from an established tank and add it to the new one. That way you add all the bacteria instead of letting them occur naturally.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Back
Top Bottom