Wet/Dry Filter recommendatons for a 125 gal for a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRF105

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, first time here. Was looking for some advice for wet/dry filters for 125 gal freshwater tank. I currently have three hanging emperor 330(I think), they were the largest emperor filters made when I bought them a year and half ago. I was leaning toward switching to a wet/dry filter due to the hassle of cleaning and maintenance of the hanging filters, also for the looks. What are the pros and cons of hanging vs. wet/dry, and what models would work best for my situation. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer for an aquarium novice

[center:72d07b9968] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, JRF105! :n00b: [/center:72d07b9968]
With that size tank, I would go with a canister filter, or two. I have canisters on my 29, 50 and 80 gallon tanks. Fluval is okay and you can go up from there to Filstar and Eheim.
For me, the pros are keeping the back of the tank free of the HOB filters (and better sealing of the tanks to keep the cats from drinking out of the tank :wink:). All the filters allow for beneficial bacteria to grow, and mechanical filtration (and chemical if you want to put charcoal in there). Plus, with a spray bar, or the normal outflow piece angled up to the water's surface, there is plenty of surface agitation for aeration of the water.

The Eheim seems to be the canister of choice from my brief searching I have done, is it worth the extra money or do you recommend to go w/ the Filstar or Fluval filters. I don't want to spend a fortune but I do want to purchase a quality filter that will be easy to setup and regular maintenance and will provide years of problem free filtration. Is it necessary to have 10x gph w/ a canister filter, b/c these filters say 350gph and are good for tanks up to 175 gal? Right now I am a 10x w/ my HOB filters. What do u think?

Thanks,

JRF105

Depending on what type of fish you are keeping, 6x gph is decent.
I have two fluvals and my fiance was just cursing them last night :? It's not like they are broken or leaking, so I don't know what his deal was :roll: I do know that the Eheims are everywhere and replacement parts (if needed) would be easy to find. I think the same can be said for Filstar. Aside from looking for deals at the LFS, try ebay (I got a bunch of stuff not only for my tanks, but for my upcoming wedding and saved big time :mrgreen:).
HTH

Thanks for the tips, I have one more question for you. Will I still need my Emperor filters if I switch to canister style? Some people have said yes other say no, getting confused can you shed any light on the issue.
Oh, and by the way your Devils need a miracle to beat my Flyboys, just messing w/ ya. Thanks for all the great info.

Oh, and by the way your Devils need a miracle to beat my Flyboys, just messing w/ ya.
[center:1af752cb2e] :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: [/center:1af752cb2e]
[center:1af752cb2e] ouch [/center:1af752cb2e]

Hmmm, I guess I will still answer your question since my new home team is going strong :roll: (I didn't think I would ever live in a true hockey loving town, and then I moved here--people are nuts!)

Some people prefer a ton of filtration. I will say that for 125 gal, you may want more than one filter, but there's no reason you need to keep the HOB, if you don't like the looks. Canister filters can be set up to agitate the water’s surface to give lots of current or light current. Either way, there will be oxygen exchange. That’s how my 80 gal is set up with 14 Mbuna cichlids and they are all FINE!

Go with Rena Filstar Xp series...heard you can't go wrong with them and they're better then Fluval and comparable to Eheims

Back
Top Bottom