Setting up a 125 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynchmob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

So I finally moved and have had time to start moving my 2 goldfish from their 10 gallon tank to the big 125 gal tank that I've been sitting on for a while now. I need some advice for doing a "fish-less cycle". I have heard using media from the old tank in the new tank is a good idea- but I am curious about this as my 10 Gallon tank only has one small filter. The 125 Gallon tank will be using a large fluval FX6 (I plan to add more than just my 2 goldfish). I don't know much about this filter as I have yet to finish reading the manual, but I know the filter from my old unit won't just slide in.

So in that regard what is the best way to cycle this tank? My current 10 gallon tank only has a very small live plant, a larger fake plant, and a fake ship for decoration/hiding. Should I move any or all of these to the new tank? Also, the 10 gallon tank has small gravel. In the new tank I have decided on using sand for substrate with a couple of large pond stones for decoration. I am currently in the process of rinsing all the sand now, but wasn't sure if I should add the rocks from the old tank, or at least some- while the tank cycles?

Any ideas/advice/best practices are appreciated! Especially if anyone has good tips on using the Fluval FX6. In addition if you have good resources for buying fish online please let me know- I live in a very small town and finding fish compatible with my goldfish has been rough going!

You can move the decorations if you want to but it will not have much impact on the cycle.

Personally, moving 2 fish from a 10g tank to a 125g I would not fishless cycle it. I would take the filter pad/material from the old filter, add to an empty place in the center of the fx6 and move the fish over. Just test the water regularly and don't add any more fish until you are sure the cycle is good. It should happen quickly with the old media. Also, you have the benefit of an extra 100+ gallons of water.

You can move the decorations if you want to but it will not have much impact on the cycle.

Personally, moving 2 fish from a 10g tank to a 125g I would not fishless cycle it. I would take the filter pad/material from the old filter, add to an empty place in the center of the fx6 and move the fish over. Just test the water regularly and don't add any more fish until you are sure the cycle is good. It should happen quickly with the old media. Also, you have the benefit of an extra 100+ gallons of water.

Thanks Dalto!

I am having a difficult time deciding what to do with these comet goldfish... I have kept them alive this long I feel like I can't just abandon them, but they are significantly limiting me in what I can and can't put in the tank. I am getting some widely mixed reviews on what can and can't live with them. Ideally I would have a semi-aggressive tropical tank but I know I can't do that with the goldfish.

I am also torn about volume. The calculator I used says for cold freshwater fish I can only get about 45 inches of fish- which after the goldfish leaves me with about 3 other fish, which seems empty for a 125 gallon tank. I'd have more decorations than fish! Conversely, the same calculator says I could do about 75-100 inches worth of tropical fish...

I also can't leave them in the 10 gallon because I would feel bad about that too. I am tempted to put the fish I want, that are comfortable in temps around 70-75 degrees, and seeing if the goldfish survive or not.... Originally my goldfish tank was around 65 degrees, but when I was living with my in laws waiting to move, the temp was always around 75 degrees and they seemed fine.

Any opinions on this situation?

I'd see if you can find someone with a pond for the goldfish. You're just going to be unhappy in the long run with the limitations of them, and trying to mix comets with anything else is going to be nothing but problems in the long run.

I'd see if you can find someone with a pond for the goldfish. You're just going to be unhappy in the long run with the limitations of them, and trying to mix comets with anything else is going to be nothing but problems in the long run.

Thanks Toad- I agree with this. I actually just bought a house on 22 acres- there is a 3.5 acre pond but it is already fully stocked with some very large fish that would make a meal of my comets.

With all the land I would like to make a decent-sized koi pond in the backyard eventually, but that is likely a project that will have to wait until at least next year with the weather getting cold soon and numerous other projects I need to get done before I get to "play".

Perhaps I can start out with the comets and a couple of compatible fish or maybe even a few other goldfish in the 125 gallon until I find time to build my own pond next spring, and then move them outside and put the fish I want in the indoor tank. Decisions, decisions...

Back
Top Bottom