What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
I never meant charcoal is useless, I said it is dangerous to switch out a cartridge every month. Are you speaking to the pH down part? That is to add phosphates, not to adjust pH. IMO, pH does need to be monitored during the cycle as I had a major pH crash which came very close to damaging my cycle. Thanks for reading the article, unfortunately I couldn't add explanations for everything I mentioned due to the fact he article was so long already! I hope you agreed with most of it.

I totally agreed with most of it. just wanted to add on a little.

I don't remember reading about ph down and phosphates, could you re-explain?

I've cycled 3 tanks successfully without monitoring ph, but I guess you can't be too careful. I was just trying to stress the fact that it shouldn't be tampered with unless necessary, and there is usually no need to adjust simply to accommodate specific fish.

if you aren't letting your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels sky rocket, there shouldn't be worry of a ph crash, ime

ok guys don't get defensive, just trying to collaborate here. wasn't trying to offend. I realize you didn't say carbon was useless. sorry for the miscommunication.

mommytron said:
I totally agreed with most of it. just wanted to add on a little.

I don't remember reading about ph down and phosphates, could you re-explain?

I've cycled 3 tanks successfully without monitoring ph, but I guess you can't be too careful. I was just trying to stress the fact that it shouldn't be tampered with unless necessary, and there is usually no need to adjust simply to accommodate specific fish.

if you aren't letting your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels sky rocket, there shouldn't be worry of a ph crash, ime

There is a member here called 7Enigma who wrote an article called tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle. He is an actual scientist and is who informed me that the phosphate levels in pH down will make your bacteria colonize faster as well as helping to prevent a stall in your cycle. And again, the amount of pH down I recommend is not nearly enough to move the actual pH level...it is to simply provide the nutrients.

eco23 said:
There is a member here called 7Enigma who wrote an article called tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle. He is an actual scientist and is who informed me that the phosphate levels in pH down will make your bacteria colonize faster as well as helping to prevent a stall in your cycle. And again, the amount of pH down I recommend is not nearly enough to move the actual pH level...it is to simply provide the nutrients.

i read the article last year when I was cycling. I wonder if I could use ph down in my established tank for phosphate? my plants have a deficiency.... (am planning on buying some more ferts, but this intrigued me)

eco23 said:

Wait a sec... Just to clarify... Ph down is good for that reason, but STOP USING IT ONCE YOUR DONE CYCLING!!! it can cause dangerous drops in Ph that can kill your fish. Most fish can adjust to a higher PH just fine, but I do agree that it will probably help the cycle along. Just thought I'd put that out there... :D

Homedog98 said:
Wait a sec... Just to clarify... Ph down is good for that reason, but STOP USING IT ONCE YOUR DONE CYCLING!!! it can cause dangerous drops in Ph that can kill your fish. Most fish can adjust to a higher PH just fine, but I do agree that it will probably help the cycle along. Just thought I'd put that out there... :D

+1 I hope I made that clear in the article, I only mention to add a tiny amount at the beginning, and during the pwc halfway through your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom