What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will probally be lower after cycle is complete. But don't mess with the ph. Take a stoic stance. Let it be.

Yeah, wherever it's gonna average out to after pwc's is gonna be where you want to acclimate your fish to. There are methods to alter it...but it's a very dangerous and slippery slope.

Did you do use your high range test to come up with 8.2? Did you get yourself a notebook to start logging your numbers?

I'm not very familiar with them, but I think if they're from the same region of the world you're good. Cichlids are beautiful, they're just territorial. I used to have some years ago and loved them.

If you don't want cichlids... Just get some driftwood. The tannins naturally lower Ph.

If I was to get cichlids, what kinda environment do i need for them, right now its set up with a buncha live plants and one little rock witha hole in it lol.

I'm not sure it HAS to be cichlids, many fish can be acclimated to live in different pH levels. You're just gonna have to do a lot of research on the fish you're interested in and make sure they are capable of acclimating.

Types of fish and they're requirements are definitely not my area of expertise. I'm sure lots of others can help.

btw eco, after the fishless cyle is over, which is 5-6 weeks...I can add fish then? And how am i to know after the cycle that my fish tank is even ready? is there something im lookin for?

Pigeonfood said:
btw eco, after the fishless cyle is over, which is 5-6 weeks...I can add fish then? And how am i to know after the cycle that my fish tank is even ready? is there something im lookin for?

Yeah, I don't think we've walked you that far yet. You're a ways out. In about a week you'll see your ammo dropping. Youre gonna keep dosing it up to 4ppm every time it drops Then you'll see nitrites show up. They're gonna climb off the charts. After that you'll start seeing nitrAtes. Then one day the nitrItes and nitrAtes are going to drop to 0 overnight. Then you just do a massive pwc to lower nitrAtes and add your fishies!

We'll walk you through it on the way. Right now, having patience is the only thing you can do. We'll get you done faster than 5-6 weeks...both me and Deckpe finished in 20 days using slightly different methods.

I felt like a little science yesterday , doin my ap tests, its really fun i think. so every 2 days im gonna check my ammo lvls and at the end of the week check for nitrItes and nitrAtes, and if the levels are real high, leave them high too? I mean how do i bring them down or do they come down themselves by adding ammonia? Just trying to get this all lined out in my head, so when im doin this stuff i know why im doin it. so sorry for askin a zillion questions lol

Pigeonfood said:
I felt like a little science yesterday , doin my ap tests, its really fun i think. so every 2 days im gonna check my ammo lvls and at the end of the week check for nitrItes and nitrAtes, and if the levels are real high, leave them high too? I mean how do i bring them down or do they come down themselves by adding ammonia? Just trying to get this all lined out in my head, so when im doin this stuff i know why im doin it. so sorry for askin a zillion questions lol

Don't waste your test solution testing for nitrItes or nitrAtes until the ammo starts going down on it's own. At the end of the cycle the ammo and nitrItes will go down to 0 literally overnight...that's how you know you're cycled. Once that happens, you're gonna test and add 4ppm of ammo one more time, and if within 24 hours the ammo and nitrItes drop to 0...you're good to go! The nitrAtes will be sky high when your cycle is complete, so youre gonna do a 90% water change to get them low enough so they're safe for fish.

Back
Top Bottom