What do you think? 55 Gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheXevv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My plan is for a community fish tank. This is what I'm hoping to stock it with. I plan on using sand, caves and real looking fake plants.
5 Boesemans Rainbow Fish
1 Sunburst Platy
1 Twinbar Platy
1 Sunset Platy
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Glofish Tetras
4 Adolfo Corys
4 Bandit Corys
Let me know what you think. :)

I wouldn't add a pleco if you want to include corydoras. Plecos are really territorial and may attack the corydoras.

I wouldn't add a pleco if you want to include corydoras. Plecos are really territorial and may attack the corydoras.

OK... Hmm then what would you suggest for an algae eater? I've had plecos before, but not corys. So never experienced any aggression from my plecos. I only had the common pleco 1 at a time in various tanks until they outgrew them. I chose the bristle nose since it's smaller and more compatible with my tank size. I also know that the Chinese algae eater is a no go. They only eat algae as juveniles and I'm not too fond of them anyway.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've kept boesemanis in my 55 before. They were okay but I really think they need more swimming space for their activity level. Make sure to have hiding spaces as my male would endlessly chase the females. They were also food hogs so sometimes other fish were afraid to eat, but I don't think competition will be an issue with tetras and platys.
As for the pleco, they're going to make more of a mess with their waste than they will clean algae. They need to have a supplemented diet and likely won't have enough to eat on your tank algae alone. If you like them that's fine, but for bottom dwellers I think it's best to do either a pleco or cories or loaches and not a combo, IMHO.
Otos are good algae eaters but kind of the opposite problem. If you don't have enough algae sometimes it's hard to get them to eat prepared foods. They are much smaller and also best kept in groups. I think it's a common misconception that a tank needs an algae eater. If you keep up on cleaning and maintenance and regulate lighting you'll be fine.
As for the cories, I would say instead of four and four to go with eight of one kind. The bigger the group of the same species, the more secure they feel and the more their personality shines.
Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

Hi,
I've kept boesemanis in my 55 before. They were okay but I really think they need more swimming space for their activity level. Make sure to have hiding spaces as my male would endlessly chase the females. They were also food hogs so sometimes other fish were afraid to eat, but I don't think competition will be an issue with tetras and platys.
As for the pleco, they're going to make more of a mess with their waste than they will clean algae. They need to have a supplemented diet and likely won't have enough to eat on your tank algae alone. If you like them that's fine, but for bottom dwellers I think it's best to do either a pleco or cories or loaches and not a combo, IMHO.
Otos are good algae eaters but kind of the opposite problem. If you don't have enough algae sometimes it's hard to get them to eat prepared foods. They are much smaller and also best kept in groups. I think it's a common misconception that a tank needs an algae eater. If you keep up on cleaning and maintenance and regulate lighting you'll be fine.
As for the cories, I would say instead of four and four to go with eight of one kind. The bigger the group of the same species, the more secure they feel and the more their personality shines.
Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

If the Boesemanis aren't a good idea, is there another fish that could work and is rainbow or brightly colored? I want colorful fish that are fun to watch. I do like cichilids, but I can't fit too many in a 55 and I could only have just those if I went with them. My kids each want to pick out the fish from the species I listed. I have 4 kids, so that is a lot of fish.

The Boesemanis were going to be my center piece fish.

If the Boesemanis aren't a good idea, is there another fish that could work and is rainbow or brightly colored? I want colorful fish that are fun to watch. I do like cichilids, but I can't fit too many in a 55 and I could only have just those if I went with them. My kids each want to pick out the fish from the species I listed. I have 4 kids, so that is a lot of fish.

The Boesemanis were going to be my center piece fish.

Don't worry about it, the boesemanis work great in a 55g tank.

I'm not saying it won't work, it was just my choice to give them to someone with a bigger tank - more than just the swimming space but they were scaring the daylights out of my skittish fish. You should be ok. But I still recommend providing hiding spaces. Just wanted to share my experience. If you want them, go for it.

I don't have any fish yet. I'm planning ahead for the fish I want. I have to buy filters, sand, etc. And cycle my aquarium first. All I have is my tank and stand. The only aquarium that has all but the chemicals is my 20 gallon. That will be for tiger barbs at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The rainbows should work, but just worth mentioning is that congo tetras are a very pretty alternative as well.

I'll consider the otos. I should note, that I won't be getting them right away. But will at some point.

I have another question, this time it's about platys. When I was at the local pet stores, they all had Dalmatian Platys. I can't seem to find them on the aqAdvisor. I really like them. Are they a new genetically engineered fish like the Glofish?

Aqadvisor doesn't have all species or variation. If that's the case, I just pick something as close as possible (ie: bronze cories instead of rabauti).
There are all sorts of color variations and crossbreeds out there it's hard to account for all of them.

Thank you. That is good to know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I honestly would not do the boesemani rainbows because they do seem crowded in a 55 and get pretty large actually. for a substitute do praecox rainbows. Colorful, same body shape, and same activity level. They are a perfect substitute and you could do 6-7 in replace of the Boesemanis. (y)

OK... Hmm then what would you suggest for an algae eater? I've had plecos before, but not corys. So never experienced any aggression from my plecos. I only had the common pleco 1 at a time in various tanks until they outgrew them. I chose the bristle nose since it's smaller and more compatible with my tank size. I also know that the Chinese algae eater is a no go. They only eat algae as juveniles and I'm not too fond of them anyway.

I would recommend getting 2-3 ottos because they stay small and from my experience they are great at what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom