What more i can add to my 10G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10G tank is running from the past 6 weeks. I believer its at the end of cycling. I'm still monitoring for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

I currently have
2 sunset fire platy
2 black molly

Can i add any more fishes? I don't want to add Gourami / neon tetras/guppy or betta. That cuts down many. Are there any other options? Can i add tiger barb?
I'm not gonna add immediately though. I'm just looking for options.

freshyfish said:
My 10G tank is running from the past 6 weeks. I believer its at the end of cycling. I'm still monitoring for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

I currently have
2 sunset fire platy
2 black molly

Can i add any more fishes? I don't want to add Gourami / neon tetras/guppy or betta. That cuts down many. Are there any other options? Can i add tiger barb?
I'm not gonna add immediately though. I'm just looking for options.

Well, even those mollies need a bigger tank. It is not uncommon for people to see a five inch Molly. Ask some of the other people on the site.

The platys are fine. I'm not sure how much more you could add, but definitely not those tiger barbs. They grow too large and active for a ten gallon.

Tiger barbs are not good in a 10G as they are active fish and unless kept in a group of ATLEAST 3/4 the will fin nip, also going on the old school rule of 1 inch of fish = 1 G , for the correct amount of tiger barbs you would need a 30G+

DALE123 said:
Tiger barbs are not good in a 10G as they are active fish and unless kept in a group of ATLEAST 3/4 the will fin nip, also going on the old school rule of 1 inch of fish = 1 G , for the correct amount of tiger barbs you would need a 30G+

Actually, even in the proper group of six they will fin nip.

And basically all of the older members of the site have completely dismissed that rule. There are too many exceptions. It's more of the exception than the rule.

Oh, but you are right about the thirty gallon minimum.

freshyfish said:
hmmmm....barb is out then....will glofish go well?

No glofish. They are a modified version of the zebra Danio, which needs a minimum of twenty gallons because of their activity levels.

I don't know about those tetras.

Back
Top Bottom