What should I put in a 20g long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvgillow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So the MTS struck again and I decided to pick up a 20gal long aquarium. I wanted to do a sand substrate this time instead of gravel, so I got some of the pool filter sand that most everybody recommends. I didn't know exactly how much sand I should use so I just put the whole 50lbs in there. I think I probably only needed 30-40lbs so some of it might come back out.

Yesterday I cleaned the sand, prepped the tank, and moved over a 150w visi-therm heater and Penguin 150 filter that were spares in my 30gal tank. I didn't move any gravel from my other tank yet but if the fishless cycle in the 20 seems to be going slowly I will do that. I got some decorations for the tank but haven't done much in the way of plants yet.

Between my two betta tanks and the 30 gal, I currently have two male bettas, 5 neon tetras, 3 peppered cory catfish, three BMS, a CAE, a platy, 6 zebra danios, and a single tenacious ghost shrimp who out-survived all of his prior tankmates. I want to put some different fish in the 20gal that will play nice together and not have an issue with the shallow depth. pH in our tap water here is 7.0, indoor temp reaches 80 degrees so I have to stick with tropical fish. Hood light is an Eclipse natural daylight 22w.

Here's what it looks like so far. The Penguin intake guard is off right now but it normally has one.

Edit: I just realized it's been exactly one year since my last post on AA. Weird 8O

Wow, really preetty setup. So clean looking.

Careful with that deep sandbed.

I would centerpiece that tank with a peacock eel, and top dwell with dwarf rainbows and a school of small tetras...maybe pristellas or black neons.

Dats just me tho.

MyCatsDrool said:
Careful with that deep sandbed.

What would you recommend as an appropriate sandbed depth?

I hadn't thought about doing an eel. I read that the peacock eel likes to bury under the sand? Also it said something about keeping the water level low so that they can't slither out of the tank. The dwarf rainbows look like a nice smaller-size fish.

I decided to paint the back of the aquarium black so that the electric cords don't show through the tank.

A tank like that would be a great home for some active fish. How about swordtails?

i am partical to dwarf cichlids myself... maybe a trio of apistos, some small tetras and cories :D

I'd limit sand to an average depth of ~2" max.

I vote dwarf cichlids or a lot of sm. tetras (12 ea. Cardinals, Black Phantom or Lemon) and some false julii or mini cories, otos.

Cool thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'll remove some of the sand to lower the depth. I think the avg is close to 2.5-2.75" right now.

a

With a sand substrate you might want to consider Malasian Trumpet Snails. They do a nice job of turning the sand over and preventing gas pockets. I know many hate em and say they will overrun a tank, but if there is not too much excess food the population will stay reasonable. And they are kinds cute.

Water is still a bit cloudy after moving things around today but here is a new photo. I'm liking the black background, should have done it with my 30gal when I had the chance.

I attached a bubble wand to the bottom glass on the left side under the sand which ended up working better than I thought. Filler plants for the back and some floating fake duck weed.

Back
Top Bottom