When can you overstock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 54 gallon corner tank. I have a Rena Filstar XP3 filter, and my tank is fairly heavily planted - about 60-70% of the substrate is planted. My water conditions are pretty pristine. I do a weekly 50-75% water change, and before the change it always tests 0 ammonia and nitrite and barely registers nitrate, maybe 10 ppm.

My stock is:
  • 11 neon tetras
  • 10 rummynose tetras
  • 10 harlequin rasboras
  • 6 cory paleatus
  • 3 dwarf gourami (2 female 1 male)

I really wanted to add a pair of apisto borelli, but I can't find any locally and I really don't want to pay so much to ship anything. I've also considered german blue rams and peacock gudgeons, but I also can't find either one locally.

My daughter has really taken a liking to glo tetras, which are modified white skirt tetras. Aqadvisor indicates that if I add a school of white skirt tetras, I'm at 103% stocking but still 200% filtration. Think I would be ok with the tetras or should I stick with a pair/trio of something like the apistos?

Slightly overstocked shouldn't be a problem, especially with schooling fish as they feel safe in groups. As long as your water parameters are good, and your fish are not too crowded as to feel stressed, you will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom